What are my chances? 3.9 gpa 521 mcat

• Thread starter Deleted member 815276
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 815276

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't get much feedback from the previous time I posted. Trying to keep my school list around current numbers as money is tight. Im open to suggestions for swapping out schools. I would like a balanced school list that would maximize my chances.

Year in school: Graduated Fall 2016

Undergraduate: Texas A&M University

Ethnicity/Race: white

Country/state of residence: CA

Cumulative GPA: 3.9

Science GPA: 3.85

MCAT Scores: 521 (131/127/132/131)

Research – Physiology research involving the patency of the ductus arteriosus (400 hrs; August 2015-April 2017). 3rd author on the poster created from the research.

Volunteering (clinical) – Critical care unit (75 hrs; August 2016-December 2016), Emergency room (175 hrs; February 2017-Present)

Physician shadowing – Anesthesiology (40 hrs; December 2015-July 2016)

Non-clinical volunteering: Preparing and delivering meals and gifts to needy families through the boys and girls club (30 hrs; done every holiday season 2014-2016)

Extracurricular activities: Working out/intramural sports (September 2013-present), SCUBA diving (January 2017-present), investing and finance (August 2012-present)

Employment history: Veterinary assistant (July 2012-May 2017)

School list:

CA: USC, Stanford, UCD, UCI, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF

TX: Baylor

NY: Albert Einstein, Columbia University, Icahn, NYU, SUNY Downstate, Cornell

PA: Perelman

MA: Harvard

IL: Northwestern, Pritzker

OR: OHSU

AZ: U of A-Phoenix, Mayo-AZ campus

You're golden; aim high. Baylor is hard to get into for OOS, so I suggest swapping it out for another school. OR is very OOS unfriendly, so skip that.

I recommend these:
U VA
U MI
U VM
U Cincy
Case
U IA
Miami
Tulane
Emory
BU
Mayo
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
UT Southwestern and/or UT-H

Thank you for taking the time to look over my school list and provide feedback. I really appreciate it. Ill definitely use that list to swap schools from my list. Quick question though. Since BU gets a huge number of applications, would it be considered low yield?
Again thanks for your help!
Not with stats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you might get lucky in TX --
They'll like your numbers certainly, and there's nothing more Texan than an Aggie...

Do you really, really like NY?

Why don't you apply via TMDSAS to more Texas schools? There is UT Southwestern, UT San Antonio, UT Houston, all urban areas. You could skip the other schools if you're dead set on an urban area, but I would advise you to apply to those schools as I think it'd yield good results for you.

EDIT: It would be fairly cheap as well, UT San Antonio and UT Houston dont even have secondaries.

Thanks for the advice! I figured that I wouldnt be as competitive since Im not a texas resident but I guess since I went to undergrad there I have a better chance than most. Will definitely look into it.
High stat applicants are highly valued at Texas medical schools, such as yourself. Plus it definitely helps that you went to undergrad here and I believe those three schools would be high-yield for you, good & safe places to apply. @wysdoc may know better than me though.