What are my chances? 3.99 GPA, 28Q MCAT, impressive resume. Ohio Resident.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

messi1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got my MCAT score back. (28Q) (9 VR, 11 BS, 8 PS). I have a very high GPA (3.99) in a very rigorous major, Biochemistry, at a well-respected university.

I have a very impressive resume including internships at top 30 Fortune 500 companies, much undergraduate research experience in chemistry, much shadowing and volunteering experience, some publications, and other activities/extracurricular that make my resume ideal for applying to medical school.

Will medical schools look at my exceptional GPA over the MCAT score?
Will medical schools look at my resume over the MCAT score?

I'm afraid that the score on the test will sink me. Due to the MCAT score, I will probably look at the following schools:

Wright State
Louisville
Kentucky
Michigan St.
St. Louis
Temple
Marshall
West Virginia

Will I have a decent chance with these? Are there any schools I should consider?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

did you sign up to retake the test? (mid june the latest)
if you could get a 35+, you'd have a chance at top tier schools...

The earliest I would be able to take it again would be July 6th, but I am unsure if I would be able to improve. That's my biggest concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that might be a little late.

I met a person who got accepted to his 1st choice, who applied with similar stats, did very well on his second time (35+), applied to 6 schools, 1 interview late march, and accepted.

But that was a HUGE gamble (he was getting ready to apply next round)

edit:

You have a good chance of getting into an MD, your list is good, I would try adding some reach schools. Your MCAT (shouldn't) stop you from applying to top tier schools.

Last edited:
Ohio has a lot of public schools, but I only see Wright State on the list. Have you considered Cincinatti? Toledo? NEOUCOM? OSU? I think that OSU and Cincinatti might not exactly be safety schools, but it may be worth applying.

Thanks kautionwirez.

OSU and Cincinnati have MCAT averages around 32, which I believe is out of reach for me.

I will look into Toledo and NEOUCOM. I am also thinking about adding Baylor.

I am far above any GPA requirement at every school (almost 0.3 points above).

I want to expand my list of schools to give me the best chance. Are there any OOS private schools that I should think about applying to?

Thanks kautionwirez.

OSU and Cincinnati have MCAT averages around 32, which I believe is out of reach for me.

If you're interested in Baylor there's nothing wrong with adding them... But I'd add both OSU and Cinci first, Baylor is more of a long-shot than either of them.

Thanks for the reply!

I just want to go somewhere that's not in the middle of nowhere, so hopefully my search leads me there.

Besides appropriate state and regional schools, with a 3.99/28, schools within your stats range (with a good OOS matriculation rate, where relevant of >15%) that you might check out for "fit" could be:
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, UNebraska, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (newer), Arizona,
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS, Florida Atlantic University (new),
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),
Commonwealth MC in Pa

No no no, don't sell yourself short. As a fellow Ohio resident who applied with a 29 MCAT (and a couple tenths lower GPA than you), I urge you to AT LEAST apply at UC. As you can see from my MDapps, I didn't get an interview until March, which put me on the waitlist since they had already 'filled the class' at that point. If you have some unique ECs or are a nontrad of any kind, UC will look more favorably upon you. If you have some research experience, consider Case. I know, it seems a stretch, but I absolutely think you could apply to all the Ohio schools and have a shot.

Based on my experience, the Kentucky schools really want you to have ties to the state if you have an MCAT under 30. Additionally, West Virginia schools (WVU and Marshall) are pretty in-state heavy.

I would suggest definitely definitely applying to Toledo & NEOUCOM and adding a few of the following: Drexel, UIC, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, MCW, Wayne, Oakland, maybe some NY schools.

Good luck! PM me, especially if you have any questions about the schools I've interviewed at (or especially Wright State since that's where I'm headed)!

Thanks kautionwirez.

I'm a little confused about why you would exclude OSU but include Baylor. Baylor's median MCAT hovers around a 34-35 :confused:. Plus, Baylor does favor in-state applicants (not as much as other Texas schools, but there is definitely a bias).

This is not to dissuade you from applying to Baylor, since the rest of your application looks great. Just wanted to make sure that you weren't assuming Baylor was some type of "safety" school. :laugh: