What are my chances? 3.9cgpa,3.8,sgpa, 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wattupdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, i actually havent taken the MCAT yet. but hypothetically assuming i manage a 26-27 (not a great test taker). i majored in biology, minored in chemistry

ECs: my college's honors program. Biology Honor Society, AMSA, neuroscience club

i also got a scholarship back in high school that follows through to college. its probably not very prestigious but i get 16,000$ + from it over the years. it was a need-based, but still academic scholarship.

i worked at chickfila for three months and walmart for a few months too. (how fantastic...i know...)

ive volunteered around a lot at places such as Medshare, Aids walk annually, tutoring, babysitting, as well as at a couple of hospitals. 50 hours of non-medical volunteering

the hospitals include a children s hospital where i read to kids and helped doctors distract them while they got shots and such, and another was at a bigger hospital where i pushed patients in wheelchairs and just things along those lines. i got almost 50 hours of it with it all combined

i will def be shadowing a ton sometime next semester. in the process of getting to know my professors for LORs. assume i get ok ones, but more on the mediocre side (just hypothetically)

no research experience. its not that i couldnt, its that i just dont like working in labs. and i dont want to.

i also went overseas to india where im from and helped administer shots and vaccines for a summer.

also, i want to get an internship with the american cancer association, but its not really medically related. itd be more public relations based. is it worth it?

do i sound decently competitive? any shot at MD? honest opinion please...

Members don't see this ad.

1) i actually havent taken the MCAT yet. but hypothetically assuming i manage a 26-27 (not a great test taker). i majored in biology, minored in chemistry

ECs: my college's honors program. Biology Honor Society, AMSA, neuroscience club

i also got a scholarship back in high school that follows through to college. its probably not very prestigious but i get 16,000$ + from it over the years. it was a need-based, but still academic scholarship.

2) i worked at chickfila for three months and walmart for a few months too. (how fantastic...i know...)

3) ive volunteered around a lot at places such as Medshare, Aids walk annually, tutoring, babysitting, as well as at a couple of hospitals. 50 hours of non-medical volunteering

4) the hospitals include a children s hospital where i read to kids and helped doctors distract them while they got shots and such, and another was at a bigger hospital where i pushed patients in wheelchairs and just things along those lines. i got almost 50 hours of it with it all combined

5) i will def be shadowing a ton sometime next semester. in the process of getting to know my professors for LORs. assume i get ok ones, but more on the mediocre side (just hypothetically)

6) no research experience. its not that i couldnt, its that i just dont like working in labs. and i dont want to.

i also went overseas to india where im from and helped administer shots and vaccines for a summer.

7) also, i want to get an internship with the american cancer association, but its not really medically related. itd be more public relations based. is it worth it?

8) do i sound decently competitive? any shot at MD? honest opinion please...
1) Historically, chances with your stats in the past were ~58-60%. If you come from a state with lenient state school, it would help (eg, not from California). As would being a citizen or permanent resident of the US.

2) Jobs requiring people skills are actually helpful.

3) It would be nice to see you giving more time to one of the off-campus organizations that you care about, maybe on a weekly or twice-monthly basis. You have a nice start, though, for nonmedical community service.

4) Keep up the medical volunteerism as well. With the international gig you did, you have a good number of hours so far.

5) be sure to include a primary care doc.

6) You might consider getting involved in some clinical research where you interact with patients as an alternative source of clinical experience that also counts as research.

7) See #3, provided it's unpaid, of course.

8) Peer leadership is another area that strengthens an application. Teaching is well thought of also.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need more patient contact hours in the EC, more than research even.

BUT, i'd say that with your MCAT, forget about the Ivies and Harvard, and concentrate on the mid-tier schools. I'd be surprised if you can't score an interview somewhere.

If you you're NOT a URM, don't bother with the HBCs.

You're a lock for any DO program too.

well, i actually havent taken the MCAT yet. but hypothetically assuming i manage a 26-27 (not a great test taker). i majored in biology, minored in chemistry

i worked at chickfila for three months and walmart for a few months too. (how fantastic...i know...)

ive volunteered around a lot at places such as Medshare, Aids walk annually, tutoring, babysitting, as well as at a couple of hospitals. 50 hours of non-medical volunteering

the hospitals include a children s hospital where i read to kids and helped doctors distract them while they got shots and such, and another was at a bigger hospital where i pushed patients in wheelchairs and just things along those lines. i got almost 50 hours of it with it all combined

i will def be shadowing a ton sometime next semester. in the process of getting to know my professors for LORs. assume i get ok ones, but more on the mediocre side (just hypothetically)

no research experience. its not that i couldnt, its that i just dont like working in labs. and i dont want to.

also, i want to get an internship with the american cancer association, but its not really medically related. itd be more public relations based. is it worth it?

do i sound decently competitive? any shot at MD? honest opinion please...

You need more patient contact hours in the EC, more than research even.

BUT, i'd say that with your MCAT, forget about the Ivies and Harvard, and concentrate on the mid-tier schools. I'd be surprised if you can't score an interview somewhere.

If you you're NOT a URM, don't bother with the HBCs.

You're a lock for any DO program too.

Do HBC's not accept white people? Why do people always say this? If you don't mind.

6) You might consider getting involved in some clinical research where you interact with patients as an alternative source of clinical experience that also counts as research.

can you recommend me or give me tips on how to find some "clinical" research experiene? maybe some time of internship somewhere?

also, thanks everyone else for the feedback! i know DO and MD are very similar, but I do not want to do a DO. definitely aiming for MD.

would TA-ing for a gen chem or organic class for a semester be seen as "teaching"? well in actuality all id really do is grade exam papers and proctor tests?

edit: also, im considered "asian" how would that affect my chances?

1) can you recommend me or give me tips on how to find some "clinical" research experiene? maybe some time of internship somewhere?

2) would TA-ing for a gen chem or organic class for a semester be seen as "teaching"? well in actuality all id really do is grade exam papers and proctor tests?

3) edit: also, im considered "asian" how would that affect my chances?

1) You can call hospitals and ask if they have a Clinical Research Coordinator. That person's office can give you an idea of who might be looking for help.

2) No. You have to describe your duties, so it would be a mistake to list it under Teaching. "Employment" would be a better label.

3) For more specific race-related acceptance statistics from the past three years, see: sector9 graphs with explanations: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

Do HBC's not accept white people? Why do people always say this? If you don't mind.
They accept folks from all races, but only if their activities suit the school's mission, which generally means they are looking for in-depth, long-term involvement that serves the poor (probably with elements of embedded leadership).

thanks! alright, new question. would you or anyone be able to suggest any internships medically related in atlanta, ga? for the life of me, i cant seem to find anything that suits it or anything remotely "health" related.

for example, both the american cancer assocaition and diabetes association internships avaialbe are more human resources, fundraising, coordinating things, public relations related than actual health.

if i cant find anything more suitable should i just go for it and do that internship? i know it wont hurt, but how much will it actually help?
or for example an internship at CVS working for the pharmacy department? i obv don't want to go to pharmacy school. would it look bad to medical schools? or show im disinterested?

Last edited:
They accept folks from all races, but only if their activities suit the school's mission, which generally means they are looking for in-depth, long-term involvement that serves the poor (probably with elements of embedded leadership).

Ah. Thanks!

You do have a shot at an MD--just got accepted with a 27 MCAT and similar GPA, and I have two more interviews to go. All MD programs.

An internship at the American Cancer Society is fine---I interned at a marketing firm for drugs, and I'd say that is relevant enough. I did have research experience though, but if you're not as interested in research, I'd gain as much clinical exposure as possible. Leadership positions?

Good luck!