What are my chances? 35yo Non-trad former SMP student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalvinHobbes123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm glad my accounts still exists here. I'll get straight to it. 1st generation college student. I initially did very poor in undergrad but I got a 4.0 my last two years repeating many classes I did poor in and graduated Magna Cum Laude. Due to repeated courses my AMCAS gpa is 3.33 and sGPA is 3.23. Lots of EC's, internships, shadowing and interesting life experiences. Graduated ugrad in 2011 went on to PCOM's 2 year Biomedical Science, I did ok and finished with a 3.4 gpa and completed the master's thesis. I have done R&D for a major pharmaceutical company ever since. I never applied and this year decided that I still really want this. So I am enrolled in an MCAT course and studying to take the exam in May. Practice exams are going well. I will be applying MD and DO and hoping for the best. I don't know what else I can do to improve my application and I am very open to suggestions.

Thanks for any advice and thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A 3.4 in an SMP is not going to yield success for MD. Maybe for DO with a broad application. BUt if you had any Cs in your SMP coursework, you'd get no traction at my school.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply broadly as previously mentioned (more DO > MD). If you do apply MD, make sure you are selective. If you are able to rock the MCAT, that may change things.