What are my chances? 516 & 3.89

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rach_305

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I spoke to my advisor and she did not seem too confident in my chances. I wanted to get some more opinions and see what I can improve on. I am a senior in college and I am graduating in 7-8 months which is when I will be filling out applications. My biggest weakness from what I've seen so far is my clinical experience. This is because I got on the pre med track pretty late. Here are my stats. I really appreciate any feedback.

Cumulative GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.85
MCAT: 516 (130/128/130/128)

Clinical experience: 200-300 hours of shadowing/volunteering at a clinic. I am hoping to do more hospital volunteering once COVID is over.
Research: Worked for 1 year (1000 hours) in one lab, and 1 semester (120 hours) in another lab
Employment: 2 jobs. first job was at a tutoring center (worked about 1200 hours) and second job as an online tutor during covid.
Extracurricular Activities: member of one honor society for 2 years, Leader in 2 honor societies right now.
Leadership: Ambassador for Andrew Goodman Foundation for 2 years (1000 hours)
Non-clinical volunteering: Classroom assistant at a program that helps underprivileged communities learn English and get jobs. (200 hours)

Plans for gap year: Work as a medical scribe or a phlebotomist.

How are my chances at getting into any medical school and what can I do to improve them?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accumulate more clinical volunteering hours or clinical employment before you apply. You should receive interviews from some of your Florida schools. You could try any of these OOS schools also:
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Emory
Duke
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Boston University
Tufts
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin

Accumulate more clinical volunteering hours or clinical employment before you apply. You should receive interviews from some of your Florida schools. You could try any of these OOS schools also:
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Emory
Duke
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Boston University
Tufts
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Thank you so much! This is very helpful! So, if I gain more clinical experience, do you think I have a solid chance at getting accepted to a medical school?

Thank you so much! This is very helpful! So, if I gain more clinical experience, do you think I have a solid chance at getting accepted to a medical school?
You will receive more interviews. Getting accepted will depend on how well you interview. However, applicants with your stats have a 90% chance for a MD acceptance.

This makes m
You will receive more interviews. Getting accepted will depend on how well you interview. However, applicants with your stats have a 90% chance for a MD acceptance.
This makes me feel a lot better, especially after feeling so discouraged. Again thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it!