What are my chances 518/3.87, school list advice wanted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huskymedmed

Reaction score
State/Country of Residence: Massachusetts

Ties to other States/Regions: Most of my extended family is in Texas, used to live there

URM: No (White Male)

Year in School: 4th

Undergrad Institution: Top 50 National University in Boston

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Bio Major

Cumulative GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.83

MCAT Score: 518 (129/129/131/129)

Research Experience:

1 year of biotech industry full time employment, 2000+ hours between two companies, working on cell therapies using CRISPR/Cas9 and doing antibody therapy development.

1.5 years volunteering in academic lab working on protein folding.

One upcoming poster from academic lab, I got a small independent project research grant for 3,000$ as well. Unsure how that would be looked at.

Clinical Experience:

175 hours over 4 years at a primary care clinic volunteering. Lots of patient paperwork duties, check in, turning over rooms, stocking etc..

Physician Shadowing:

100 hours, 75 with anesthesiologists, 10 with a PM and R, 15 with general internist.

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
120 hours over two years of maintaining a recreation area, 15 hours over 2 summers building community mountain bike trails. Starting a new position next week building bikes for underserved community members, should yield about 50 hours before app time.

Other Extracurricular Activities:

Part of TriBeta, Ski Club, Biology Club, Organ Donor Advocacy Club, Intramural Hockey, Guitar

Other Employment History:

Working as a hotel concierge for two summers.

Immediate family members in medicine? : No

Medical School List:

Reach:

Northwestern, Mayo, Cornell, UChicago, Stanford

Target:

Sinai, Case Western, Duke, UPitt, BU, Hofstra, Brown, Dartmouth, UMass, Albert Einstein, UCincinnati, UTSouthwestern (aware of the low OOS acceptance), Tufts, UNC,
Rush, George Washington, Georgetown, CU, Tulane

Let me know how feasible my list is! Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Rush expects many more hours of clinical and non clinical exposure than you have. Otherwise your list is good and you should receive several interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd remove UNC for heavy IS bias

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd remove UNC for heavy IS bias. I would remove UTSW for the same reason and because it would be annoying to fill out the entire TMDSAS for just one school.
Those are both good points! Thanks for the input. In regards to UTSW, one of the docs I shadowed was on the Adcom up until last year, and will be contributing a letter to my app, so that was part of the reason I thought it may be good to apply to. Is that connection enough of a factor to make it worthwhile? Or no? Definitely agree on your TMDSAS point though...

Last edited:
Those are both good points! Thanks for the input. In regards to UTSW, one of the docs I shadowed was on the Adcom up until last year, and will be contributing a letter to my app, so that was part of the reason I thought it may be good to apply to. Is that connection enough of a factor to make it worthwhile? Or no? Definitely agree on your TMDSAS point though...
Hmm.. If you have a former adcom LOR, you might as well send it. Might be annoying to fill out the whole TMDSAS, but UTSW is an amazing school at an even better price. Your connections to TX might help too. I'll edit my previous post to reflect that new info.

Throw in Ohio State and Thomas Jefferson, they are good choices. Your list looks good minus UNC and Rush.

You could add a couple of decent lower-tier schools such as UVM and UAlbany.

Great application, pretty good list.

Agree with adding Rochester, Jefferson.

Also consider: Temple, Emory, UVM, Albany, Quinnipiac.