What are my chances? Advice/School recommendations please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureortho14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys! Any advice/school recommendations would greatly be appreciated!

Overall GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: ~3.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): *RETAKING IN JUNE* 18AA/ PA 16 / QR 18 / RC 23 / BIO 16 / CHEM 16 / ORGO 15
State of Residence: NY

Undergrad Attended: Penn State
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes - this will be 3rd time, never been offered an interview
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 6000 + hours in an ortho office, 800+ hours in a family dentist office ** SEE BELOW **
Volunteering Experience: Relay for life, various opportunities through my sorority, soccer ref, Girl scouts
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Soccer, sorority; active member, homecoming chair, pre-dental society, Discover dental through SBU
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list, local community service award
LOR type and strength: Orthodontist i work for, dentist I worked for and two professors from college
Employment: Orthodontic Assistant since 2010, Dental Assistant from 2016-2017

I would consider my experience unique. Since I was 15, I have wanted to be a dentist, so i began as an office assistant in my local orthodontists office. I worked every day after school and through the summers. When home for college breaks, I also worked at the office. During this time, i began as just following my ortho around, to running sterile, etc.. and eventually working as an ortho assistant. During my senior year of college, I worked as a dental assistant on the Tues/Thurs when I didn't have class. Since graduating, I have continued to work as an orthodontic assistant. I am being very eager and desperate to be accepted

School list:

NYU
Tufts
Buffalo
USC

EDIT: Despite my username, I no longer want to pursue a career in Ortho. I am looking to have a career change while waiting to be accepted to school. Also, I am aware I have to become a general dentist first. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm going to really pick things apart here, I do not intend to be mean or anything, just know that my suggestions are in an effort to help you reach your current goal of entering dental school.

You will need to differentiate between shadowing and working as an assistant. On the application, there is a section for each and you can't double dip. You have to appeal to DENTAL schools (not ortho) before you can become an orthodontist. You will want to focus on that, all orthodontists were general dentists before they became orthodontists, you would be no different. My shadowing hours started as 150 ortho and 100 general and I was asked multiple times if I was planning on doing ortho. I eventually added about a hundred more general hours to stop getting those questions.

Really things are going to weigh pretty heavily on your DAT. Your GPA is right on the border of needing to do a masters/post-bacc, but you wouldn't need to if you score really well on your DAT.

In terms of schools, you should be applying to about 15. A few to add: Case, LECOM, UNE... I could go on here but it really just would be your instate schools and then some private schools of your choosing.

My biggest advice here would be to take your next application cycle very seriously and make it your last (by getting an/multiple acceptances). Do not retake the DAT in June if you are not confident you can score 21+ in the week or two before your exam date. Use the DAT section here to make sure you are using the best preparation materials - they will make a big difference in your score. Consider a master's or post-bacc to help raise your sGPA. Consider adding a recurring (weekly) volunteer event that is very community-based ie. homeless shelter, elementary school. Add more general dentist shadowing hours and vary the dentists that you work with so you can gain more experience with offices other than those you have worked in.
I know this is a long list and it may take quite a bit to get all of this done. Consider not applying this cycle so that you can really have a truly exceptional application - you've applied 3x already, make this next application completely different than those previous times.

Reactions: 1 users
Like @knewstance said, shadowing and working are two separate entities that you cannot use twice. Shadowing is shadowing, working is working. Make sure you separate the two.

Is this the second time you are taking the DAT? If so really make sure you have changed your study habits and you are ready to score high, your GPA is low, and that coupled that with a low or average DAT score will not make you stand out as a candidate. You have great experience in dentistry, but you need to prove to admissions that you can handle dental school

Add more schools as well, and also be aware of how expensive these schools you currently have on your list are

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT: Despite my username, I no longer want to pursue a career in Ortho. I am looking to have a career change while waiting to be accepted to school. Also, I am aware I have to become a general dentist first. Thanks!
Thank you for the update. Maybe I got a little over zealous in writing that part, obviously you know that. I'll leave it for future people reading the thread though, it may help someone else. Even if your UN had been something else, your experience is more what prompted me to say that. Just know that schools will have similar thinking, hence my advice of increasing general dental shadowing.

Reactions: 2 users
If you don’t want to do the post bac/Masters route (I recommend you do) score higher on the DAT. At least 20+ and adding 12-14 more schools will increase your chances. Also, don’t rush to take the test in June if you aren’t ready. I would push it back to the middle of July to ensure you’re ready. And my advice that I’m giving if you want to apply this cycle. My overall recommendation would be to enroll in a 1 year Masters program. Study hard for the DAT. Take it in September. Shadow after you take your test. Get better LORs. And apply June 2020. Doing these would greatly improve your chances! Also reach out to some D-schools. Let the admissions team actually know your name/face. This always helps!

Reactions: 1 user