What are my chances? (Age 27)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working the night shift as a medical technologist in a 400 bed hospital. 70% of the time, I'm the lead chemist, hematologist, microbiologist, and bloodbanker. I graduated with a 3.25 GPA and 9 and 10s on the MCAT. I have four years of volunteer experience as physical therapy asst. Worked two years at a dialysis tech. And spent 4 four years in the U.S. Navy working as an aircraft mechanic. I have traveled the world over. Spent 8 months in the Persian Gulf during the Gulf War.
I'm married to a 5th grade teacher with our first child on the way.
Do you think with my low GPA, that I should spend the time and money pursuing med school? Or should I stick with my blood gases,UAs, sputum gram stains.
Please let me know!!!!
Thanks!!
Jeff E.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Topcat:
Jeff-
My situation was similar to yours but my GPA wasn't as high. I was accepted with a 3.04, 28 MCAT. I had strong post baccalaureate work and I think that was in my favor. My advice to you would be to sort out your motives and goals relevant to the profession and life in general (make sure they are compatible). Like you, I have children and I wouldn't be going if I didn't have the COMPLETE support of my husband. I wish you the best of luck- don't worry, your situation is by no means hopeless!

Of course you have a chance!
smile.gif
If you need to take a few courses before applying to prove you can succeed in the student frame of mind, that may prove helpful. Your rich life experience will make you a stand-out in the pile of applications. I am 33 years old and starting med school in the fall. Personally, my biggest concern was the cash. I had a difficult decision to make - do I want to burden myself, my husband and any future children we may have with a 200K debt or should I go to a public school to decrease the cost? In the end, I decided to go public to SUNY Downstate. I love potential clinical opportunities at SUNY and the price was attractive.
Can do you anything else in the professional world and be happy? If there is anything else you can find to make you and your spouse happy in the long run, then I would say do that. Confront to the best of your abilities the sacrifices you will have to make and then, if you still get a thrill about the idea of living your life as a physician...It's clearly an intimately personal decision and no one can tell you yes or no. If the question is whether you'll get in or not, I think it's entirely feasible that you'll be accepted.

[This message has been edited by tmbrenner (edited 05-16-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are quite similar to mine (3.3 and a 30MCAT), and I was accepted. You have to look at state schools and remember that when out-of-state students are accepted, they usually have very high stats. That tends to raise the averages for each school. So fear not, your work experience will help you a lot. I too had a hospital job, though for not nearly as long as you, and I think it shows adcomms that you are a mature person who knows exactly what you are getting yourself into. I would also explore the DO route. It could be a possibility for you too. Good Luck,

Apply to Case Western Reserve University. They have a soft sopt for nontraditionals such as yourself.

UVM is the home of the non-trad -- 80% of their students to be exact. Good luck to you.