What are my chances? (age 28)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 28 years old and married (4 years). I'm currently working as a clincial laboratory scientist in a 400 bed hospital. I work in hematology, chemistry, microbiology, and blood bank. On the weekends, I am the only blood banker in-house. I also spent 4 years in the US Navy as an aircraft mechanic~ launching aircraft off an aircraft carrier. Spent 8 months in the Gulf War. GPA 3.25 MCAT 9 and 10s.
What are my chances?
Thanks for your replys!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you do not apply your chances are zero. If you do apply your chances are greater than zero. When I decided I wanted to give medicine a try...I just put one foot in front of the other. Now I am in the 8th semester of allopathic medical school. I assume the only way to get one of those huge fighter bombers off the deck of an aircraft carrier is to hitch it to a very powerful catapult, open the throttle full blast and hope for the best...
good luck!!!!

Well, I'll be starting this fall at 29. I don't think that age is as big an issue as people seem to think. As a matter of fact, my age never came up in any of my interviews.

How old are your MCAT's? You may have to retake them. Also, when did you graduate? Most schools require that you have some recent coursework. If you decide that you want to persue medicine, age shouldn't be your concern, but getting into a post-bac program and retaking the MCATs should (unless you just graduated...) Even if you don't have to do any recent coursework to apply, you might want to think about taking a post-bac program to get that GPA up. There are a few programs which offer direct acceptance into an affiliated med school.

Good luck to you...
jpc

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 32 and am going for the gusto! If your ultimate goal is to be a doctor, then hopefully you are mature enough to realize that you don't have to go to Harvard, Yale, Washington, Vandy ect... to accomplish this goal. Go to your state school, become a doc, and save several thousands in tuition expenses. You will be a doc just like the rest of 'em when you are done.

Perhaps when you are 28 or 29 age is not an issue. For me at the age of 39 it WAS an issue and is was an issue at every school I interviewed at. Even though it is illegal to ask your age, my age came up in every interview. Some were polite and just interested in why I wanted to further my education, others were down right confrontational. That was OK, because I was prepared and got multiple accpetances any way.

I know it is one of those moral/ethical demilemmas, but what do you do. Its not like you can go "whine" to the dean and say, "that bad doctor asked me how old I was!!! Wah, wah, wah". Just deal with it, let your principles stand, let your professional and academic successes speak for themselves and it won't matter what your age is, THEY WON'T LET A GOOD CANDIDATE GET AWAY!!!

Good luck and be prepared!!!

I am going to be 35 when I apply! And I want to go into surgery!

I'm 24 part-time student in post-bac program and full-time clinical tech. I have a very sick and poor GPA (overall 2.8)at undergrad. When I decided I wanted to pursuit medicine right after I graduated from college, I decided to go to graduate school and I'm preparing GRE right now.

Anyway I'll be 28 or 29 by the time I enter medical school and most of my friends who are working at a computer or internet company will be making big bucks enjoying their life by spending money and socializing.
However, by the time when I become 30 and when my old friends being all settled, successful, rich, and working as a some kind of internet related job ask me what I do for a living, I'll be PROUDLY say "I'm a medical student".
Never argue or complain about age when it comes to medicine. Cause we all know we are studying human science not some kind of historical or political or law issues, that are sometimes differenciated by different age groups.
Age is nothing but numbers.
smile.gif

I've been dealing with this same dilema for a couple of years now. I am 26 and graduated with a teaching degree thinking I would obviously teach, then decided I wasn't satisfied and really wanted to be a doctor. I had to go back and take most of my pre-recs and thankfully will be don at the end of the summer. I'm guessing you've heard the same lines as me, but in my eyes it really comes down to what you yourself think. I know that if I had listened to what most people have told me I'd be in a job that I really didn't like for next thirty years just getting bye. So after that long speeeeeeel my advice is to go for it and do what you think is righ, just remember time flies when your having fun. Peace.......

Topcat, forgot to tell you, as a fellow Viking we rock......

Topcat,

Your overall #'s fall into the category of a so-so, 50/50, "bubble" candidate. If you ace your interviews and are a well-rounded candidate, you have a chance.

Now for a few comments on this issue of age and med school. Most posts stating that age does not matter are written by pre-meds or med student cheering each other on. Their perspectives on the complex medical education system are VERY naive. Take it from an MD who entered med school at 26, age DOES matter.

See my post in "How old is too old?"