deetool

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Can anyone tell me my chances of getting into the following schools with these credentials?

Harvard - MSPH
Yale - MPH
Emory - MPH
BU - MPH
Dartmouth - MPH

UG: Dartmouth College
GPA: 3.0
GRE: 1320 (M 750, V 570)
Double Major: Statistics, Sociology
Pre-Medical Track
Writing a thesis for the stats major
Previous work at Yale School of PH one summer but no research/experience in PH aside from that

I'm kind of regretting not applying to more schools since I applied in late November and I just rejected from the epi program at emory. I still haven't heard from the other 2 programs I applied to at emory and I'm under the impression that emory's epi is HIGHLY competitve? Would this be a correct assumption or is my GPA too low?

Any input would be great (from an applicant, current or past MPH student). Thanks so much!

AndrewJ42

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
It's impossible to say whether or not a school is going to accept you based off just numbers. I'm one to believe that a school really does look to see if you are going to fit into their program more so than they are going to just try to grab students based upon their numbers, therefore I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have submitted a well crafted application with genuine intentions to become a productive member of the public health community I wouldn't worry about your chances to get into a school.

swim2006

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'd say you stand a decent chance at BU. Harvard I know is very difficult to get into without a degree higher than a bachelors. That is the extent of my knowledge.

About the Ads

deetool

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
thank you for the insight?

can anyone else give me any advice or information based on your knowledge? thanks!

S

score12905

i was also thinking about applying to dartmouth? how competitive is the program to get into? how is it ranked?

Coclean

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Supposedly Emory has one of the lowest acceptance rates for Epidemiology these days......I didn't know that until reading all the posts from rejected students (but asked some of my professors here). They also put a lot of emphasis on quantitative skills and previous research and they are very committed to keeping the program small so that students have opportunity.

Good Luck....BU should not be a problem...even though the great Rothman is in attendance. If you go to BU....do your research at Harvard and you will get connections at two campuses at once...not a bad deal.

swemory2007

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
Supposedly Emory has one of the lowest acceptance rates for Epidemiology these days......I didn't know that until reading all the posts from rejected students (but asked some of my professors here). They also put a lot of emphasis on quantitative skills and previous research and they are very committed to keeping the program small so that students have opportunity.

Good Luck....BU should not be a problem...even though the great Rothman is in attendance. If you go to BU....do your research at Harvard and you will get connections at two campuses at once...not a bad deal.

I actually spoke with an Emory admissions lady who said they basically only look at math and science grades when it comes to transcripts, just thought you might like to know...

Coclean

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
However.... I think it is more varied than that. I got in to Emory on full scholarship and my grades were not perfect in the least (about a 3.5 in my science courses, with one C, and a 3.7 overall.....but I did double major in Biochemistry and Anthropology and do a Math minor). The kicker might have been 4 solid years of bench research though, so if Emory is your dream....and perhaps CDC....you might get in after doing some research.

I wouldn't say that everyone here has perfect science marks either. Its a pretty mixed bunch. The end message is there are many ways to skin a cat....and even if you don't get in someplace you want to go this year, improve your portfolio and try next year. Public Helath needs a lot of different people. AND one of the PhD students here at Emory did her MPH degree at BU, another did his at Tulane...and then they "traded up" (though I am not convinced that Emory is better than those places, just different). Point of convo....don't give up...read the posts from people getting rejected from Emory and getting into Harvard....who knows, its a rat race anyways.

Coclean

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
P.S. Be sure to let us all know where you DO get in...you'll likely have multiple options!:)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.