• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

LaurenMarie513

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello fellow pre-medical students,

I wanted to know if I had a chance to get into an MD/Ph D program in behavioral neuroscience with my current stats. Keep in mind that I have not taken the MCAT yet. I have traveled to Ethiopia twice in 2008 and 2009 to conduct research on parasitic infection in baboons among several other research experience as shown below. I am also starting to volunteer at the Hoboken University Medical Center in a few weeks and I hope during the summer I can attain my EMT certification. Let me know what you think. What else could I improve on? I have 3 Professors who I think would give me excellent LORs that I have known and work with for 4+ years. I am nervous because I have no training/experience in neuroscience particularly and no publications yet, however 2 manuscripts are in the works.

PROFESSIONAL INTERESTS_____________________________________
Pathology, Neuroscience, Forensics, Biological Anthropology, Evolution, Animal Behavior and Molecular Biology

_EDUCATION_______________________________________________________________

Jan. 2006 – May 2012 B.A. in Biology and B.A. in Anthropology with a Pre-Medical Concentration
Queens College of the City University of New York, Flushing, NY

Overall GPA: 3.82
Biology GPA: 3.79
Anthropology GPA: 3.93

WORK EXPERIENCE________________________________________________________

May 2007 – 2008/ Custom Legal Plans, LLC
Jan. 2012 – Present Position: Customer Service Representative

Responsibilities: Aiding union members nationwide by providing legal referrals as well as filing, faxing and adding recruited lawyers to the panel.

_VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE_________________________________________________

June 2011 Safe Horizon: Child Advocacy Center (40 hours)
Position: Playroom Supervisor and Administrative Assistant
Responsibilities: Assist the Center staff in welcoming and establishing a rapport with children and their families as well as supervise playroom activities.

_PROFESSIONAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS AND MENTORSHIPS______________

Sept. 2009 – May 2011 NIH-sponsored MARC Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research Program
Senior Thesis Title: NS4A of different Dengue strains behave similarly in cell protection via the induction of autophagy.

June – Aug. 2010 Summer Research Collaboration
Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY
Objective: Cloned NS4A of all dengue virus serotypes and generated HA-tagged fusion constructs to assess the upregulation of autophagy as well as cell protection.

June – Aug. 2009 International Education and Research Program
Funded by Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation Program, $3000
Research station: Awash National Park, Ethiopia
Objective: Non-invasive assessment of gastrointestinal parasitic loads between two baboons species (Papio anubis and Papio hamadryas) and their hybrids.

Sept. 2008 – Sept. 2009 Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation Program
Queens College of the City University of New York, NY

Jan. 2008 – Sept. 2009 NSF-funded program in overseas undergraduate research mentorship in Ecology, Evolution and Behavior
Objective: Assessed incomplete lineage sorting vs. introgressive hybridization within the baboon species complex using nuclear polymorphisms (LINEs and SINEs: Alu).

_ACADEMIC HONORS AND AWARDS__________________________________________

Jan. 2010 – Present Honors in Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Senior Thesis Title: NS4A of different Dengue strains behave similarly in cell protection via the induction of autophagy

Oct. 2009 – Present Golden Key International Honors Society

May 2009 – Present Chi Alpha Epsilon National Honors Society (Delta Rho Chapter)
Queens College of the City University of New York

May 2009 Juniors Honors in Anthropology
Department of Anthropology, CUNY Queens College, NY

May 2009 Frank Spencer Memorial Award for the Most Promising Junior in Biological Anthropology, $500
Department of Anthropology, CUNY Queens College, NY

April 2009 SEEK Leaders Award
Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge Program, CUNY Queens College, NY

April 2009 Society of the Study of Evolution Undergraduate Diversity Mentoring Travel Award, $1000

April 2009 Society of the Molecular Biology and Evolution Undergraduate Diversity Mentoring Travel Award, $1000

RESEARCH GRANTS________________________________________________________

May 2009 Grant title: Parasitic Pressures in an Ethiopian Baboon Hybrid Zone
Received from: The Explorers Club, $1500

RESEARCH PRESENTATIONS________________________________________________

Oral Presentation: Dengue virus infection leads to induction of autophagy and cell protection

September 2010 Honors in Mathematics and Natural Sciences Research Day
CUNY Queens College, Flushing, NY

Poster Presentation: Population genetics of the baboon species complex using nuclear polymorphisms
June 25-29 2010 Annual Meeting of Society of the Study of Evolution
Oregon Convention Center, Portland, OR

Poster Presentation: Identification of polymorphic L1 insertions in the genus Papio
October 2 2009 Sigma Xi The Scientific Research Society

June 12-16 2009 Annual Meeting of Society of the Study of Evolution
University of Idaho, Moscow, ID

June 3-7 2009 Annual Meeting of the Society of Molecular Biology and Evolution
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA

May 2 2009 Urban University Conference
College of Staten Island, Staten Island, NY

March 26 2009 Sigma Xi The Scientific Research Society

Feb. 26-March 1 2009 Florida-Georgia Louis Stokes Alliance Minority Participation Expo
University of Miami, Miami, FL

Nov. 1 2008 Metropolitan Association of College and University Biologists
Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ

3.8 gpa and you dont know the difference between write and right? ;p. Whats your mcat?

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

LaurenMarie513

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm running on 4 hours of sleep and I'm at work give me a break...I wanted to correct it, but editing it just led to the thread being copied over 3 times so I gave up. I'm new at this stuff and was just curious. Oh and I haven't taken the MCAT yet...

sliceofbread136

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2011
I'm running on 4 hours of sleep and I'm at work give me a break...I wanted to correct it, but editing it just led to the thread being copied over 3 times so I gave up. I'm new at this stuff and was just curious. Oh and I haven't taken the MCAT yet...

One thing jumps out at me: GET SOME CLINICAL EXPERIENCE

LaurenMarie513

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Filling out a Hospital Volunteer form as we speak... I live 7 blocks from the hospital I'm going to be volunteering at so I will practically be living there this summer and fall :O) Can't wait!

sliceofbread136

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2011
Filling out a Hospital Volunteer form as we speak... I live 7 blocks from the hospital I'm going to be volunteering at so I will practically be living there this summer and fall :O) Can't wait!

Good, also think about shadowing(can be hard to find). It may be alittle early to think about this, but ponder "why medicine?". It will help come personal statement time.

LaurenMarie513

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I know why medicine is for me already. It's a little personal and I have already wrote 2 mock personal statements, because the NIH mentorship I was in required it. Have you completed the process yet?

Last edited:

Knocked Up

Sexy and I know it
Sep 29, 2011
Prison Shower
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You really can't judge your competitiveness until you have an MCAT score. So much can go right (or wrong) that would push your application in a certain direction. Your GPA and research are fine for MSTP and MD/Phd funded programs, but really it comes down to the MCAT. The MCAT is really what separates those who get into high tiered MSTP programs vs. MD/Phd programs vs. no programs at all. Study hard for it, and consider dedicating 100% to it even if you have to give up research for that time.

sliceofbread136

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2011
I know why medicine is for me already. It's a little personal and I have already wrote 2 mock personal statements, because the NIH mentorship I was in required it. Have you completed the process yet?

I'm done pretty much everything I need to do and am applying this cycle. I don't know if you're applying this cycle too, but if you are good luck:luck:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.