What are my chances and should I retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gses8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.. I need some advice.

Last year I had a 30M (12PS, 8VS, 10BS) and applied with a 3.7 cGPA, one research experience, but no clinical stuff and didn't get in.

Decided to retake and got a 30O (11PS, 9VS, 10BS) this time around. I'm not thrilled with getting the same overall number score, but at least verbal and writing improved, which was what I bombed last time.

I've decided to apply for 2012 entrance instead, as I feel that I need to boost my EC's.. I'll be doing a bioengineering master's during this time.

So my question is whether I should retake again and hopefully get a better verbal score (so something like a 32-33). I know people will probably recommend not to retake since I got the same score.. but deep down I feel like I should have done better given how I was scoring 33-36 on practice exams (which I know are suppose to be easier) and 10-12 on verbal. I just have testing anxiety during the exam and panic when I look at that stupid timer! But what if I retake and get the same score (and god forbid, a lower score)? How bad would it look? Is it worth the risk? Also, with the hope of applying next year with 3 different research gigs, volunteering, shadowing, and more LORs, how do my chances look? Basically, should I retake.. lol.. the decision is is killing me!
user_offline.gif

Members don't see this ad.

What's your science GPA? I think it's improvement that your scores are more balanced, despite no change in the overall number. To me, your app looks relatively solid except for the lack of clinical experience - if you can get that within the next year and be able to formulate a solid response for 'what you've learned from it' and 'why you want to be a doctor based on what you've learned,' I think you'll have a good shot. If you were able to get any of that experience in the past year even, I would suggest applying now - but I can definitely see your argument for waiting til next year's app cycle. What schools are you planning to apply to, and what's your home state?

Best of luck :luck:

Thanks for the reply.

Forgot to mention I'll be applying with a different GPA since I've completed senior undergrad year now. New gpa is 3.68 cGPA, and 3.61 sGPA. Home state is Pennsylvania so I feel I got the best shot at Drexel/Jefferson/Temple/Pennstate schools.

Also, do you think the 30 is okay for MCAT? Is it worth risking a retake? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you've got a good chance - you live in a good state for in-state applications! I would definitely apply to the four you have listed, and add TCMC to the list (in-state) and then look for maybe 8-10 OOS schools that fit with your stats and accept a good percentage of OOSers (get an MSAR and look through it). Some suggestions would include: NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola Chicago, UIC, Cincinnati...

And I really do think your 30 is fine. Granted, I may be a little biased because I have a 29, so of course a 30 looks good to me! ;) Having your 9 in verbal rather than one of the science is probably preferred (I have a feeling my 9 in BS is going to close some doors for me)

I wish you lots of luck!

I disagree with glasshalfMD, from what I've read around here most med schools weigh your verbal score highest as it solely tests your critical thinking skills. Just my opinion though so take it for what its worth.

I disagree with glasshalfMD, from what I've read around here most med schools weigh your verbal score highest as it solely tests your critical thinking skills. Just my opinion though so take it for what its worth.

Could be true - I don't really know. From what I've seen though, it seems to be the lowest score for many and clearly doesn't bar too many admissions if it's still an 8-9+. I think since OP has a 9, s/he should still be fine.

I think your MCAT is fine, your VR scores increased and your writing score got better. I would just try really hard to get some clinical experience at a free clinic or something.

Does adcom care if English wasn't your first language? Granted, I grew up in the states, but I didn't start learning/speaking English until I started kindergarten/1st grade because I'm a first generation.

Anyways, thanks for the advice guys. My pre-med adviser just emailed me back today as well, and she also said my MCAT is fine and that I shouldn't retake unless I'm absolutely sure I can get several points higher. At this point I think I just really need to focus on clinical stuff like syizzle said. But generally speaking, will I be at a disadvantage with only one year of clinical stuff compared to those who've been at it for 2-4 years?

Thanks and good luck to you guys as well!