What are My Chances and Should I Wait a Year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Led man123

Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student with the below stats. MCAT is pending until July, but am consistently scoring 508 or above. As of right now only looking at DO, but with the right MCAT will apply MD as well. I was a dummy and did not get any shadowing in. I'll try to before I submit, but there is no guarantee due to Covid. Thoughts on this being a dealbreaker? Do I need to wait to beef up the clinical experience?

CGpa - 3.58
SGpa - 3.88
Virginia Resident
200 Hours Clinical volunteering in oncology/stroke units
150 Hours Volunteering in an animal shelter
Approx 300 Hours as a ED Scribe (This was almost 6 years ago)
400 Hours volunteering for habitat for humanity
Decent LORs
Deans List
Law Degree
A lot of experience working with individuals from different socio-economic backgrounds, people with mental health problems, and drug addictions.
Non-traditional applicant and will be 32 if I matriculate in 2021

Members don't see this ad.

No bets without an official MCAT score, of course. I would reach out at minimum to all your in-state MD and DO options because they would give you the best chance to be admitted as an in-state applicant. On face value, your clinical exposure hours look fine. Network with other non-trad medical students among the posters on SDN (there is a non-trad forum I think).

I was a non traditional student . I created a video with a little advice for all of you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk