What are my chances? and what classes should I take in the fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureHopkins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I graduated from Geneseo last year 2017 and was wondering what were my chances of med school.
I graduated with a cumulative-3.4 and science GPA-3.3 I was going to take the MCAT this August but then I got discouraged when I couldn't achieve a high mcat score. I've been scoring between 500-505 on the practice AAMC MCAT exams and I just feel that I don't have consistency. What material do you guys recommend me using (especially for CARS)?
For medical experience: I have volunteered as an EMT-B for 3 years. I also worked as a paid EMT for 6 months at a children's school along side a nurse and a physician.
Based on my situation, my advisor said it might be wise to take some classes during the fall. Since I didn't have time to apply for a post-bac, I was wondering what classes you recommend that I should take? and what are my chances? If I had a dream to go to any medical school it would be the school I used as my Username. So please any pointers would be nice. Please and Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Without the MCAT score nobody can predict your chances. But your GPAs are well below average for admitted MD students. Depending on the MCAT score you’d probably be okay for DO schools. Do not take the MCAT until you are consistently scoring at or above your target goal on FL practice tests.
What state do you live in? Are you URM? Do you have any nonclinical volunteering(service to those less fortunate than yourself)? How about shadowing?

Without the MCAT score nobody can predict your chances. But your GPAs are well below average for admitted MD students. Depending on the MCAT score you’d probably be okay for DO schools. Do not take the MCAT until you are consistently scoring at or above your target goal on FL practice tests.
What state do you live in? Are you URM? Do you have any nonclinical volunteering(service to those less fortunate than yourself)? How about shadowing?

I currently live in New York and yes I'm an URM. I volunteered at my library in my sophomore year for about 6 months. I also did research for 1.5 years under a professor from my college. I have 3 hours of shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated with a cumulative-3.4 and science GPA-3.3

Based on my situation, my advisor said it might be wise to take some classes during the fall. Since I didn't have time to apply for a post-bac, I was wondering what classes you recommend that I should take?
Biochem, Statistics, and Behavioral Sciences, are essentials, if you don't have them, as they will help on the MCAT.

Next: Physiology, Cell Biology, Genetics, for sure.

Then: Immunology, Anatomy, Virology, Histology, Embryology, Neurology, Microbiology, and similar.

Earning any grade that isn't in the A range delays your GPA resuscitation, so be sure to stay focused. You need to raise your sGPA and doing so will also get your cGPA higher.

You need around 50 hours of shadowing some with a primary care doc. How many hours did you spend at the library? You really need to get out of your comfort zone and work with the homeless or at a soup kitchen or maybe with Habitat for Humanity. You need about 150 hours of nonclinical volunteering.

What URM group do you represent? Do you have a history of commitment to said group?

When people ask about doing a post bacc(formal or DIY) it’s more or less to prove to ADCOMS that you are able to tackle the rigors of med school successfully. So a couple of semesters of upper level science courses where you earn all As or >3.7 GPA would go along way to proving to ADCOMS you have figured out how to study and you will be successful.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You need around 50 hours of shadowing some with a primary care doc. How many hours did you spend at the library? You really need to get out of your comfort zone and work with the homeless or at a soup kitchen or maybe with Habitat for Humanity. You need about 150 hours of nonclinical volunteering.

What URM group do you represent? Do you have a history of commitment to said group?

When people ask about doing a post bacc(formal or DIY) it’s more or less to prove to ADCOMS that you are able to tackle the rigors of med school successfully. So a couple of semesters of upper level science courses where you earn all As or >3.7 GPA would go along way to proving to ADCOMS you have figured out how to study and you will be successful.

Good luck!
I prefer not to mention my URM status on here, but I'll keep note of the things here. Thanks.