what are my chances and where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tetra25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am interested in applying to medical school and wondering where to apply. I am somewhat of a non-traditional student. I did my undergraduate in communications at Howard University but did my science classes later at another university. I am wondering what are my chances and where should I apply. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

STATS
-Virginia Resident
-African American Woman, age 28
-BA Communications at Howard University
-GPA: 3.83, SGPA:4.0
-2016 MCAT: 515 (94%)
  • chem/psy: 129 (93%)
  • cars: 129 (95th %)
  • bio: 130 (97th %)
  • psy: 127 (78th %)
-Did a research internship at a local hospital
-Volunteer weekly at a hospital for four hours for the last 3 months and will continue for the next year, also did some volunteering the Red Cross. About to start another volunteer opportunity at a free clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a great GPA and MCAT - way to go! Add some shadowing experience and you'll have a very good chance to matriculate. African American students with your grades have a 92% acceptance rate.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

For more specific advice on where to apply - move this thread to the "What Are My Chances" forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine lots of places if you buff up your ECs a bit. Buy the MSAR and use it to research schools where you'd be a good fit. Are you tied to a certain geographical area? Do you have a particular focus in determine why Medicine? Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Your stats are strong. Add some more ECs, leadership, maybe some research and I think you're golden.