What are my chances? Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which schools?

• MD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DO

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Caribbean

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • International

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

OneDayDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

This is my first time posting on this site, but I have read a lot on here and there is a ton of great information. So I'd like to throw my hat in the ring, and let me know what you guys think. I'm looking at applying to MD schools in a couple years. I am going into my junior year, and here's where I stand:

The Vitals:
-Cumulative GPA: 3.95
-Science GPA: 4.0
-Major: Physiology (+Neuroscience Certificate)

The ECs:
-1 year biology research, about to join a new lab for the remaining 2 years (which will involve clinical experience)
-Volunteering at local ER 1-2 times weekly, currently at about 100 hours
-Assorted non-medical volunteering, currently at about 60 hours
-Honors program/Dean's list/National Society of Collegiate Scholars
-Have worked two jobs in college, one freshman year and one this past summer
-Intramural volleyball (captain) and water polo
-Helped teach 4 classes (3 astronomy, 1 biology)
-1 year of band

Also Note:
-I still haven't taken Organic Chemistry, but I'm pretty nervous about it (I'm taking from the hardest prof on campus).
-I plan to start shadowing this year.
-I'm probably going to get my master's before applying.

Advice Needed:
-What areas seem lacking, and what activities should I add to boost my chances?
-What are some suggested schools?
-What are my chances at an MD/PhD?
-Any feedback in general

Don't feel like you have to answer all these questions, but every bit of input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your ECs thus far are developing nicely. You might look for additional leadership opportunities besides team captain. You might also consider some regular (weekly) nonmedical, noncampus community service. This might eventually be an avenue for stronger leadership, as well. There's no need to do all your shadowing next year. That would be a good activity to add to sporadically until the time you apply.

Without knowing your application cGPA, BCPM, and MCAT score, developing a school list is premature, as are predictions about MD/PhD chances. Don't let OChem, a common weedout course, blow you out of the water.