MD What are my chances? Any application recommendations from insightful peers? Thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDG3140

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

22-year-old Latino male applicant from rural CA who attends, California State University Chico​

Academics​

Major: (1) Microbiology (2) Cellular and Molecular Biology
Minors: (1) Ethics, Justin and Policy (2) Chemistry
Grades: cGPA: 3.87 sGPA: 3.91
MCAT (1/21/21): 513 130/125/129/129

Medical Stuff (Total: ~3 years)

Certified EMT - Ambulance Experience: 60 hours
ER Shadowing (various MDs) - Colusa Medical Center Emergency Room: 200+ hours
California Care Force triage EMT: 82 hours
UC Davis OR Shadowing: ~40 hours (low b/c of COVID)
East Avenue Church Evacuation Center EMT (During Camp Fire): 54 hours
Shalom Free Clinic Supervisor/Volunteer: 500+ hours
Certified and Paid - Developmentally Disabled Nurse Assistant: 500 hours (Quit b/c of MCAT and COVID)
Chico Safe Space Wound Care EMT: 40+ hours (seasonal)

Research Stuff (Total: ~3 years)​

Ecology Research - Valley Oak Phenology, Leaf Lobation and Galling Insects - Under Dr. Christopher Ivey: ~250 hours
Diabetes Research - Investigating Beta-Cell Apoptosis - Under Dr. David Keller: ~1200 hours
Thesis Project - Developing a KO Mouse Insulinoma Beta-Cell Line - Under Dr. David Keller: ~500 (thus far...)
**Published in Journal of Endocrinology May 2020, 4th author**
**Hopefully will publish a methods paper Spring 2022...after intended application**

Student Education Stuff (Total 2.5 years)​

Learning/Lecture Assistant for Principles of Physiology and Development: 2 Semesters ~300 hours
Multiple Subject Tutor - Ecology, Cellular/Molecular Biology, Developmental Biology and Organic Chemistry: 3 Semesters: ~400 hours

Significant Achievements/Involvement:​

Eagle Scout - 2017: +3000 hours (pre-college)
Chico State Pre-Medical Club, Events Coordinator (2019), Vice President (2020) and President (present): ~400 hours commitment
Fundraised and Ran Chico State's 5th Annual Suture Clinic - February 2020 (super lucky pre-COVID event)
UC Davis Prep Medico Program: Attended May 2019
Stanford MSTP BOOST Program: Upcoming April 2021
Over 16,000 dollars in scholarships
Attended 6 research symposiums, competed in 4 research competitions (3 posters, 1 presentation)

There's more, but this is the significant stuff I've done. Overall its +4000 hours of consistent involvement throughout 4 years in college, weekly that's about 20 hours/week (a time commitment equivalent to a part-time job) on top of taking 14-18 units per semester. My GPA is great, but my MCAT score turned out lower than expected. I flew to Nevada and scored 2 points lower than expected, CARS really beat my ass. I defiantly could have prepped more!

I'd like insight on 3 things:​

- Should I take the MCAT again, to improve my CARS and avoid that uncertainty​

- What schools should I be considering? Should I limit my search to <515 schools? Or, should I apply HIGH >515 b/c my extracurriculars are impressive?​

- Will my youth be taken into consideration? For 22-years-old I've done A LOT, I've sacrificed lots of time studying etc. (but still done extremely well) to maintain all my extracurriculars.​

Members don't see this ad.

How certain are you that you could take the MCAT again and score higher? CARS is one of those things that kind of just sucks...as a Latino myself without English first language I definitely feel you...are you URM? If so, that MCAT score might not hamper you that much for research-centric schools which often want high scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I just wanted to say that in order to maintain anonymity on the site, it might be best if you take out some of the details on your post. For example, it is fine to just say you have a publication without going into details on the PIs. Similarly, with your various achievements (which is quite impressive, great job!), you can be more vague about the participation so as to not identify yourself :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I just wanted to say that in order to maintain anonymity on the site, it might be best if you take out some of the details on your post. For example, it is fine to just say you have a publication without going into details on the PIs. Similarly, with your various achievements (which is quite impressive, great job!), you can be more vague about the participation so as to not identify yourself :)
Hey! Thanks for the insight, I didn't even think I'm always quick to assume ppl are ALL respectable. I appreciate you looking out!

How certain are you that you could take the MCAT again and score higher? CARS is one of those things that kind of just sucks...as a Latino myself without English first language I definitely feel you...are you URM? If so, that MCAT score might not hamper you that much for research-centric schools which often want high scores.
I'll definitely score better, minimum 2 points. While I'd reasonably consider myself an underrepresented minority from a underserved area, etc., English is actually my native/first language, so... ya kinda embarrassing in regards to CARS, I figured I'd shoot my shot and get a higher score.

I think you have a pretty fantastic application and should go ahead and apply. A 513 to 515 increase means nothing honestly. If you have URM status your MCAT will put you in the running for the research heavy schools too. Your activities are very impressive.

You do not need to retake the MCAT. I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs
USC Keck
Kaiser
Stanford
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
U Colorado
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Georgetown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Harvard
Dartmouth
Brown
St. Louis
Loyola
Northwestern

You do not need to retake the MCAT. I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs
USC Keck
Kaiser
Stanford
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
U Colorado
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Georgetown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Harvard
Dartmouth
Brown
St. Louis
Loyola
Northwestern
These are all top tier schools, referring to MSAR matriculate data, my stats don't meet most of these school's averages. Would it be wise to apply to such competitive universities and risk zero acceptances? I'd like your honest opinion, currently I have none of these schools favorited on MSAR. Would it be wise to perhaps use half (~10) of this list and apply to 10+ more safety schools?

You mentioned you are a Latino male so you would be considered URM by most schools. If you are fluent in Spanish it will help your chances also. you could also add California University and Loma Linda (if you fit their mission).

I think you have a pretty fantastic application and should go ahead and apply. A 513 to 515 increase means nothing honestly. If you have URM status your MCAT will put you in the running for the research heavy schools too. Your activities are very impressive.
While I'm a Latino in an underserved area etc., how exactly do you confirm URM status? It is a broad categorization, or a qualification sort of thing?

While I'm a Latino in an underserved area etc., how exactly do you confirm URM status? It is a broad categorization, or a qualification sort of thing?
Some people say all Hispanic/Latino tag means URM while some people on here have said it more nuanced and that Mexicans/Puerto-Ricans/etc. are only URMs from Hispanic/Latino (e.g. SA countries not included). I'm not URM by that definition, but my school's committee classifies me as URM and so does my school's med school apparently; therefore I'm pretty sure it just depends on the school. I'd like to think they care exactly where you come from, as I heard in college, but then again I've seen countless "hispanic/Latinos" (I put that in quotes for a reason) get classified as URM...

I'd err on the side of caution though. However in your case I doubt it matters since you have a strong profile all around.

Some people say all Hispanic/Latino tag means URM while some people on here have said it more nuanced and that Mexicans/Puerto-Ricans/etc. are only URMs from Hispanic/Latino (e.g. SA countries not included). I'm not URM by that definition, but my school's committee classifies me as URM and so does my school's med school apparently; therefore I'm pretty sure it just depends on the school. I'd like to think they care exactly where you come from, as I heard in college, but then again I've seen countless "hispanic/Latinos" (I put that in quotes for a reason) get classified as URM...

I'd err on the side of caution though. However in your case I doubt it matters since you have a strong profile all around.
Thanks man, I'd never bank solely on a status to get into school, I appreciate the insight tho! I've held off on these conversations until now, it's warming to see so many ppl respond positively and offer such personal advice. Good luck on whatever adventure awaits you next.

Thanks man, I'd never bank solely on a status to get into school, I appreciate the insight tho! I've held off on these conversations until now, it's warming to see so many ppl respond positively and offer such personal advice. Good luck on whatever adventure awaits you next.
Yeah, it's definitely a weird subject but it does literally influence your school list since your MCAT score is viewed differently and stuff...or at least that's what my advisor had mentioned to me. Have you talked to your health advisor or committee advisor?

Faha's list is balanced with top tiers, mid tiers, and safeties. That would be a good list for you honestly.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird subject but it does literally influence your school list since your MCAT score is viewed differently and stuff...or at least that's what my advisor had mentioned to me. Have you talked to your health advisor or committee advisor?

Med schools are definitely not color/ ethnically blind. Good thing? Bad thing? That’s the way it is. Different places, different rules.