What are my chances, apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bambino92122

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(need feedback Thanks)
hi,
I have made up my mind about pre-med in my senior year.
cGPA:3.67
MCAT:29 BS:12 VB:8 PS:9
Working in a lab asst. for three years, neuroscience research lab for two quarters.
summer research internship abroad.
Volunteered at senior home for past 1&1/2years
Job shadowing a general physician for the past year.
Recently volunteering at a health clinic, shadowing a DO.
Club activities, public relations chair, church involvement.

I am going on another social work internship aboard, and plan on another one next spring.
I know I have few clinical exposures. Therefore I do not know if I should apply this year for D.O school or for even boarder-line M.D. schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I have made up my mind about pre-med in my senior year.
cGPA:3.67
MCAT:29 BS:12 VB:8 PS:9
Working in a lab asst. for three years, neuroscience research lab for two quarters.
summer research internship abroad.
Volunteered at senior home for past 1&1/2years
Job shadowing a general physician for the past year.
Recently volunteering at a health clinic, shadowing a DO.
Club activities, public relations chair, church involvement.

I am going on another social work internship aboard, and plan on another one next spring.
I know I have few clinical exposures. Therefore I do not know if I should apply this year for D.O school or for even boarder-line M.D. schools.
What are your BCPM GPA and sGPA? If they are low, why?
What kind of clients did you work with in the senior home and what did you do? I'm wondering about their mental and physician condition.
Hours of shadowing? Hours in the health clinic and when you began? Any patient contact with your research?
What is your home state?

Last edited:
My BCPM GPA is 3.58
messed up in my freshmen year & sophomore year. (did poorly in general chem and math classes)
I teach art classes to Alzheimer and Dementia patients at the senior center. Sometimes stroke patients.
home state: CA
hours of shadowing with the current physician: on going 70 hrs.
beginning the health clinic in May, roughly 6 hr each week.
No patient contact with my research.

If I should not apply this year, is there any recommended program to help fill in the gap?
Thank you, Sincerely

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering you have an upward grade trend, and since I'd look at your time in the nursing home doing Art Therapy as clinical experience, I think you'd be OK to apply this year, to any DO and less-selective MD schools. Stay with the health clinic through the application season.

Thank you so much for the feedback!
The only problem is I have to leave US at the end of June and will not be back until September. But I do wish to resume my clinical volunteering when i return.
Is there any recommendation for less selective medical schools? not to offend anyone, but I don't mind applying for the mid-west. (though I'm worried they are more selective on out of state applicants...)

Thank you again!

Research some of these MD schools for "fit."

Toledo, Wake, Creighton (unfriendly to CC credit?), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (newer)
Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU (new), Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, UIllinois (high OOS tuition), Buffalo,
EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)