What are my chances?- Applying 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u_stepped_on_mi_to_sis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(aaah sorry, i posted this under dat discussions.. didnt realize there was a place for these types of questions. i'll just repost here too!)

hey guys!! i've been lurking on SDN for like the past 6 months cuz its just such a great place for all us future dentists and i just love reading like every post lol. recently ive read a few threads about ppl with AMAZING DAT scores and exceptional GPAs... makes me just wonder where i possibly stand. i'll post my stats and pleaaase give any advice possible!

DAT scores: 8/8/18
- 23 AA
- 22 TS
- 25 PAT

sGPA & GPA (currently a junior):
both are around 3.28
(economics major + all the pre-dental stuff)

Shadowing:
- over 300 hrs shadowing doctors, i.e. cardiologist, dermatologist, plastic surgeon (cosmetic), ER surgeon
- 50 hours volunteering a general dentist

Research:
- 3 yrs and over 400 hrs doing research and Children's National in D.C. (awaiting approval for publication on the project i assisted with)

Work:
- TA for Biology
- Tutor: my university pays me to tutor the calculus series

Volunteering:
- Soup kitchen volunteer for the past 3 yrs

ok this is everything i can think of off the top of my head!!

do you guys think this is enough? my gpa is my biggest regret

thanks for all the help!!!:biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have very similar stats to you (Same DAT score and slightly higher GPA). I submitted my application at the beginning of July, and I didn't end up taking the DAT until the end of August. I had two interviews so far.

I would try to raise that GPA as much as possible this upcoming semester and get more shadowing hours under a dentist. The rest of your extracurriculars are great! Apply early (as soon as the application opens), and I think you'll be in solid shape to get multiple interviews.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Just to emphasize: really work on getting more dental shadowing hours (100+). It is definitely possible to get interviews with your GPA, and your DAT is fantastic! Also, be able to explain the GPA and how you’ve improved.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
(aaah sorry, i posted this under dat discussions.. didnt realize there was a place for these types of questions. i'll just repost here too!)

hey guys!! i've been lurking on SDN for like the past 6 months cuz its just such a great place for all us future dentists and i just love reading like every post lol. recently ive read a few threads about ppl with AMAZING DAT scores and exceptional GPAs... makes me just wonder where i possibly stand. i'll post my stats and pleaaase give any advice possible!

DAT scores: 8/8/18
- 23 AA
- 22 TS
- 25 PAT

sGPA & GPA (currently a junior):
both are around 3.28
(economics major + all the pre-dental stuff)

Shadowing:
- over 300 hrs shadowing doctors, i.e. cardiologist, dermatologist, plastic surgeon (cosmetic), ER surgeon
- 50 hours volunteering a general dentist

Research:
- 3 yrs and over 400 hrs doing research and Children's National in D.C. (awaiting approval for publication on the project i assisted with)

Work:
- TA for Biology
- Tutor: my university pays me to tutor the calculus series

Volunteering:
- Soup kitchen volunteer for the past 3 yrs

ok this is everything i can think of off the top of my head!!

do you guys think this is enough? my gpa is my biggest regret

thanks for all the help!!!:biglove:

apply when AADSAS opens and apply wisely and hope for the best
your GPA is not that bad, just do your best to get As in the rest of your classes, your DAT is good

I have very similar stats to you (Same DAT score and slightly higher GPA). I submitted my application at the beginning of July, and I didn't end up taking the DAT until the end of August. I had two interviews so far.

I would try to raise that GPA as much as possible this upcoming semester and get more shadowing hours under a dentist. The rest of your extracurriculars are great! Apply early (as soon as the application opens), and I think you'll be in solid shape to get multiple interviews.

Best of luck to you!
thank you so much! good luck to you as well!

Everything but the gpa looks great. I think you have a great shot as long as you apply to 15 schools.

like others said, get those dental shadowing hours up to around 100.
Since you're an economics major, I'm assuming you only did the minimum science pre-requisites. If you can (and haven't already), try taking some upper level science courses like anatomy and physiology. This will raise your science GPA and you can apply to more schools that require more than a year of biology.