What are my chances? Applying in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momentinmind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster, though I've been coming to this site for a while. Hoping for some advice about whether to retake the MCAT and apply for this cycle, or if it's best to strengthen my application first and apply next year. I'm a second time applicant and would really like to be accepted in Texas.

-Undergrad GPA: 3.3cum, 3.1 (science), 3.8 (non-science). I was a biochemistry major, minored in psychology and graduated cum laude.
-I'm in a neuroscience graduate program. GPA ~ 3.7.
-MCAT taken twice a few years ago, both times a 26.
-I piloted and ran a successful experiment in my graduate program. This project will yield an abstract, two publications and a possible conference presentation. I also have a few publications and a presentation from undergraduate research.
-1000+ volunteer hours (charity clinic, tutoring, various events)
-Shadowed 3 physicians in different fields (~500 hours)
-Was a teaching assistant for 3 classes
-Part of 2 professional organizations.

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

First time poster, though I've been coming to this site for a while. Hoping for some advice about whether to retake the MCAT and apply for this cycle, or if it's best to strengthen my application first and apply next year. I'm a second time applicant and would really like to be accepted in Texas.

-Undergrad GPA: 3.3cum, 3.1 (science), 3.8 (non-science). I was a biochemistry major, minored in psychology and graduated cum laude.
-I'm in a neuroscience graduate program. GPA ~ 3.7.
-MCAT taken twice a few years ago, both times a 26.
-I piloted and ran a successful experiment in my graduate program. This project will yield an abstract, two publications and a possible conference presentation. I also have a few publications and a presentation from undergraduate research.
-1000+ volunteer hours (charity clinic, tutoring, various events)
-Shadowed 3 physicians in different fields (~500 hours)
-Was a teaching assistant for 3 classes
-Part of 2 professional organizations.

Any feedback would be very appreciated!
Did you include TCOM on your application list? If so, after rejection, did you get feedback about what you could do to improve your application? Do you know if your target schools take grad-level grades into account (which most AMCAS schools do not)? Are you in a traditional masters program or one that is specifically known to be a GPA-boosting program like the one at North Texas? Are you willing to retake the MCAT (unless you think you've already hit your ceiling) or to include some AACOMAS DO schools on your application list? If the latter, did you retake any grades that were poor so you could invoke the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy?

Thanks for the response!

-I did include TCOM, but had never received any feedback from them about my application.
-From the schools I've spoken to, they won't take my grad-level grades into GPA consideration, but consider my grades and research as a whole.
-I'm technically in a PhD program, though I will leave with a Master's degree.
-I am willing to retake the MCAT, and am aiming for a June date, so should I apply this cycle, my application won't be too late.
-I'm primarily applying to M.D. schools, since there aren't many D.O. schools in Texas.
-I haven't retaken any poor grades. I crunched some numbers and retaking a few 3 hour courses for an A won't significantly increase my science GPA. I can't justify thousands of dollars for 2 or 3 classes, unless it has more benefit than to just my GPA. I'm three years out of undergrad and I have taken some science classes for my graduate degree and done well, so I don't know if that will help at all.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Did TCOM formally reject you or are you still in waiting-to-hear mode? If the former, consider calling to request a phone appointment for feedback on improving your application. This will give you a hint of where to put your greatest effort.

2) How do your scores on practice MCATs look so far?

3) Have you met with a premed advisor at your current school for advice on whether any Texas schools will give you some credit for your grad grades?

4) Have you viewed this acceptance data to extrapolate your likely odds of success based on potential MCAT scores: https://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/Final Statistics Report- EY13 - Medical.pdf

And considering how strongly your uGPA will work against you, have you considered the possibility of engaging in a specific premed GPA-booster program? I believe the one at North Texas has passed its deadline for application for this year, but perhaps there is another one in Texas I can't call to mind.

1) That's good advice. I'll contact TCOM.

2) I've mainly been doing content review at the moment. From my past practice exams, I typically get around 11-13 in the VS, 9-10 in BS and anywhere from 7-10 in PS, which is where I'm putting my attention towards now.

3) I haven't. From what I've read about on here, grad grades are never reflected in BCPM GPA and are usually seen as a separate entity. I suppose admissions counselors at the schools I'm interested would be good places to ask, or can it affect my application if I email them?

4) Also very helpful. I hadn't seen this. From what I'm seeing, and maybe this is optimistic, all hope is not lost? My GPA and even my past MCAT scores still have somewhat of a chance in leading to matriculation.

I hadn't looked into those programs and I think they would be a last resort for me. Given the rest of my coursework, research and clinical work, would my undergraduate GPA be that strong of a deterrent to admissions committees?

Honestly your GPAs seem low for allo programs and even top tier DO. Top Tier DO have avg MCAT 28-31. I would retake MCAT only if consistently hitting 32+. Supposedly avg allo MCAT is 33. I would retake the basic science classes you did worst in. Consider DO as your best bet. Good luck

3a) I'd agree that grad BCPM* is never incorporated into an overall BCPM GPA (except with AACOMAS sGPA), but it is exhibited on it's own line where it would stand out.

3b) It won't hurt to try emailing first and see if you get the specific information you're looking for, namely, When one's uGPA is low, to what extent might high grad BCPM GPA be considered?

4) The data on the acceptance grid show a small percent of low MCAT acceptees and a small percent of 3.3 and lower acceptees. It seems logical to me to assume that none of these folks are represented in both pools. In other words, those with low GPAs had terrific MCAT scores to compensate, and vv with the low MCATers/high GPAs. Right now, you can't say that, but I agree that All Hope is not lost.

*For those unaware, TMDSAS will be no longer be using sGPA and will change to BCPM GPA for the 2015 entry group.

3a) I'd agree that grad BCPM* is never incorporated into an overall BCPM GPA (except with AACOMAS sGPA), but it is exhibited on it's own line where it would stand out.

3b) It won't hurt to try emailing first and see if you get the specific information you're looking for, namely, When one's uGPA is low, to what extent might high grad BCPM GPA be considered?

4) The data on the acceptance grid show a small percent of low MCAT acceptees and a small percent of 3.3 and lower acceptees. It seems logical to me to assume that none of these folks are represented in both pools. In other words, those with low GPAs had terrific MCAT scores to compensate, and vv with the low MCATers/high GPAs. Right now, you can't say that, but I agree that All Hope is not lost.

*For those unaware, TMDSAS will be no longer be using sGPA and will change to BCPM GPA for the 2015 entry group.

Catalyatik what's your opinion on the change?

I'm a bit confused about the difference. Aren't they the same? Isn't science the same as math,chemistry, biology, and physics?

Last edited:
Yea. Can you reread my other post I edited it

I'm a bit confused about the difference. Aren't they the same? Isn't science the same as math,chemistry, biology, and physics?

I'll give an example of where they might vary if you consider minutia: AMCAS includes astronomy as "BCPM" but does not include geology. Clearly, both are "science."

If you read the TMDSAS site, "The undergraduate BCPM GPA includes all undergraduate level biology, chemistry, physics and math course work. Included in the BCPM GPA are courses which satisfy the prerequisite course work (excluding English)."

Does your school have a premed website with more details?