What are my chances applying really late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scutmonkey

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEy guys,
I am applying really late this year. My CSA is scheduled for the 1st of may. I figured I could apply out of the match by directly contacting empty positions afer the scramble ( for IM in Brooklyn ). I will be bale to start my residency on time or worse comes to worse, after a few weeks. What do you thiunk are my chances? Last years statistics did show a lot of unfilled positions in IM, and i heard that this year a lot of FMGS are not getting visas, and that the number of people applying has reducued significantly.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't already have a fax machine, get one. You're going to be awfully busy. Good luck in the Scramble. :)

Nu

Tough question without a definite answer. Your chances are admittedly less than if you would apply during the regular match because many spots not filled during the match will be so during the first few days after the match (ie, next week).

However, I am sure that every year spots do remain which do not fill in the match or the post-match scramble and provided you supply a satisfactory application you should have as good a chance as anyone at getting one of those spots at that time.

Be aware that some of the unfilled spots will be that way because they are undesirable - either geographically or other problems with teh program. The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you want to take a chance on these programs or wait another year and give yourself a shot at getting into the best program you can.

I think your chances are limited but doable. Remember you will have to have your ECFMG certification before you can do your residency. So be sure you have passed all your tests,submitted your diploma and have ECFMG certification done before you start in July. The important thing is to be sure and talk to the PD about all this, so everything is done properly.

Just a note:some of the foreign schools take forever to return the form to ECFMG so stay on top of this, by that I mean check up on this from time to time,using OASIS site. Re:certification

Lots of luck...