What are my chances (applying this cycle/waiting for mcat score)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordansnfootbal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am in a bit of a predicament. I just took the July 24th MCAT and I will get my score back in late August then submit my AMCAS RIGHT AWAY. Do you think my application would be too late to get an interview?
Another thing that I will be looking into within this month is what schools I should apply to (Upper tier, mid tier, low tier MD) Here are my stats:

CA resident (Want to apply to mostly CA schools, Duke, Emory, UNC, and Central Michigan- Received emails encouraging me to apply this cycle so I will)
*My undergrad school is in San Diego*

URM- African American

cGPA: 3.62 sGPA: 3.4ish (not completely sure off my calculations) MCAT 1st try: 23 MCAT 2nd try: (Pending)

ECs:
300+ clinical hours (Scripps Mercy Hospital ER and Trauma, Geriatric hospital, etc.)
Medical Brigades (Ghana) - also was director of supplies and medication for the Honduras trip following year
Research Assistant- 2+ years
Scripps Mercy Hospital trauma intern (Patient-Doctor relationships)
SMDEP (Duke University School of Medicine)
USSF Certified Referee (Competitive Soccer)- 9+ years
Treasurer (AMSA)
Football player - Frosh and Soph years (injury prevented me from continuing)
ETC.

Just came on here to see what schools I have to the potential to apply to and get an interview even though I am applying LATE AUGUST (smh). Turned in the transcript and everything, once I get my score I'm pressing submit (if I am satisfied with the score).

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,
I am in a bit of a predicament. I just took the July 24th MCAT and I will get my score back in late August then submit my AMCAS RIGHT AWAY. Do you think my application would be too late to get an interview?
Another thing that I will be looking into within this month is what schools I should apply to (Upper tier, mid tier, low tier MD) Here are my stats:

CA resident (Want to apply to mostly CA schools, Duke, Emory, UNC, and Central Michigan- Received emails encouraging me to apply this cycle so I will)
*My undergrad school is in San Diego*

URM- African American

cGPA: 3.62 sGPA: 3.4ish (not completely sure off my calculations) MCAT 1st try: 23 MCAT 2nd try: (Pending)

ECs:
300+ clinical hours (Scripps Mercy Hospital ER and Trauma, Geriatric hospital, etc.)
Medical Brigades (Ghana) - also was director of supplies and medication for the Honduras trip following year
Research Assistant- 2+ years
Scripps Mercy Hospital trauma intern (Patient-Doctor relationships)
SMDEP (Duke University School of Medicine)
USSF Certified Referee (Competitive Soccer)- 9+ years
Treasurer (AMSA)
Football player - Frosh and Soph years (injury prevented me from continuing)
ETC.

Just came on here to see what schools I have to the potential to apply to and get an interview even though I am applying LATE AUGUST (smh). Turned in the transcript and everything, once I get my score I'm pressing submit (if I am satisfied with the score).

Thanks for your help.

OK so I would say with that first attempt you have no shot at duke Emory or cali schools.

Come back with the new score and then we could have a better idea. I don't think its too late for an interview if the MCAT is right. Get verified now though.

Also I would say consider Howard mehhary and Morehouse. If you even improved 2 points that becomes a possibility.

With a decent MCAT score, OP will indeed get some IIs from CA schools.

OK so I would say with that first attempt you have no shot at duke Emory or cali schools.

Come back with the new score and then we could have a better idea. I don't think its too late for an interview if the MCAT is right. Get verified now though.

Also I would say consider Howard mehhary and Morehouse. If you even improved 2 points that becomes a possibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was saying with his current MCAT at a 23 he has no shot at those Cali schools. The allo ones anyway! Im noy sure as a urm how much he need to improve to have a shot though?

You said get verified as in submit my application now and wait for the score to come in?

I think my last score was a fluke/nerves (got a 6 in bio and I was getting 11's on practice tests I may have skipped a passage on accident). I think I will do way better than the 23 score (Averaged 32 on the mcat practice tests). What do you consider a "decent" score to be? I just want to get into a MD school no DO's.

You said get verified as in submit my application now and wait for the score to come in?

I think my last score was a fluke/nerves (got a 6 in bio and I was getting 11's on practice tests I may have skipped a passage on accident). I think I will do way better than the 23 score (Averaged 32 on the mcat practice tests). What do you consider a "decent" score to be? I just want to get into a MD school no DO's.

If you got a 32 the hbcs you should get into. That would open up a lot of doors.

If you got a 32 the hbcs you should get into. That would open up a lot of doors.

Okay. So you said get "verified". Does that mean submit the application before getting my mcat score? And a random question- What does "OP" mean? lol

For MD schools you'll need at least a 30 to be really competitive. The national median is 31.

Okay. So you said get "verified". Does that mean submit the application before getting my mcat score? And a random question- What does "OP" mean? lol
Op is original poster. Just apply to one school you're not interested in to get verified now so when your new score comes in you can apply right away

Reactions: 1 user
For MD schools you'll need at least a 30 to be really competitive. The national median is 31.

Alright thanks a lot I will update this thread when I get the new score...hoping for a 30+

Op is original poster. Just apply to one school you're not interested in to get verified now so when your new score comes in you can apply right away
Hmm good idea I'll let my pre-health advisor know about this. Thanks a lot!

I received a 26 on my mcat smh...I don't know what to do now

your best bet is to wait and apply next cycle. If you had submitted your current app with this MCAT score of 26 three months ago, I would have said that you have a chance of receiving II from at least one of the Cali schools and also from some HBCU and Duke, Emory, UNC etc. However, at this point by the time your AMCAS is verified and you receive the secondaries, you will be submitting the secondaries in October (assuming you pre-write them) and will be interviewing most likely in 2015, mostly for waitlist spots.

There's still a chance with this cycle but the chance is low. Also you don't want to have the stigma of being a re-applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
your best bet is to wait and apply next cycle. If you had submitted your current app with this MCAT score of 26 three months ago, I would have said that you have a chance of receiving II from at least one of the Cali schools and also from some HBCU and Duke, Emory, UNC etc. However, at this point by the time your AMCAS is verified and you receive the secondaries, you will be submitting the secondaries in October (assuming you pre-write them) and will be interviewing most likely in 2015, mostly for waitlist spots.

There's still a chance with this cycle but the chance is low. Also you don't want to have the stigma of being a re-applicant.

So being a re-applicant would be a bad thing? Because I really want to apply this cycle since I already turned the app in.

I'm looking at msar right now and I cut down my list to schools that are near my mcat range:

Morehouse
South Carolina
Meharry
Howard
Loma Linda
Utah
Alabama
UC Riverside
Wright State
UC Davis
U Washington
U Arizona
UNC
Creighton
UCLA
Wake Forest
Drexel
Uniformed Services
Georgetown (long shot)
UC Irvine (long shot)

So being a re-applicant would be a bad thing? Because I really want to apply this cycle since I already turned the app in.

I'm looking at msar right now and I cut down my list to schools that are near my mcat range:

Morehouse
South Carolina
Meharry
Howard
Loma Linda
Utah
Alabama
UC Riverside
Wright State
UC Davis
U Washington
U Arizona
UNC
Creighton
UCLA
Wake Forest
Drexel
Uniformed Services
Georgetown (long shot)
UC Irvine (long shot)

Yes, being a reapplicant is a very bad thing. Yes you will lose time and money by holding off on submitting that AMCAS application but how bad do you want a med school seat? Remember even hbcu requires that you have dedicated a significant part of your life helping underserved populations in America, especially African Americans. They won't automatically give you an interview because you are URM, especially not with your stats. All the other schools on your list have median stats well above yours, and some of them might consider the 23 too (might average the 23 and 26)

you can apply this year but you are taking a gamble with your future.

Yes, being a reapplicant is a very bad thing. Yes you will lose time and money by holding off on submitting that AMCAS application but how bad do you want a med school seat? Remember even hbcu requires that you have dedicated a significant part of your life helping underserved populations in America, especially African Americans. They won't automatically give you an interview because you are URM, especially not with your stats. All the other schools on your list have median stats well above yours, and some of them might consider the 23 too (might average the 23 and 26)

you can apply this year but you are taking a gamble with your future.

Alright got it thanks for the help.

What is suggested I do? What part of my stats needs strengthening besides the mcat?

do you have any physician shadowing experience?

then improve the MCAT, do some community service in the AA community, and make sure your LORs are solid

I think that even with a 26, you'll be OK for a number of these schools. The OOS public schools that prefer the home team, like U WA, U AL probably will pass on you. Are you aware that USHSU requires a term of military service? And for Loma Linda, have you read their list of don'ts?

Morehouse
South Carolina
Meharry
Howard
Loma Linda
Utah
Alabama
UC Riverside
Wright State
UC Davis
U Washington
U Arizona
UNC
Creighton
UCLA
Wake Forest
Drexel
Uniformed Services
Georgetown (long shot)
UC Irvine (long shot)

I think that even with a 26, you'll be OK for a number of these schools. The OOS public schools that prefer the home team, like U WA, U AL probably will pass on you. Are you aware that USHSU requires a term of military service? And for Loma Linda, have you read their list of don'ts?
Yea I know that the uniformed services requires military services and I am aware of loma linda's requirements. I go to a catholic school so their religion requirements have been met. So cross Alabama and Washington off the list? Should I retake the 2015 mcat exam or should I apply next cycle with the 26 since its recommended I do not apply this cycle?

If you are already verified, your are a good candidate for the HBCU's and Drew. Your are a fair candidate at Davis.

I am in the process of getting verified....I sent it in August 20th....would my chances be slim now?

Do you mean David Geffen? I thought Drew only accepts students from UCLA?
Drew accepts students from all schools! It is a private entity that is also a program in the UCLA system. It is a separate application from Geffen.

Drew accepts students from all schools! It is a private entity that is also a program in the UCLA system. It is a separate application from Geffen.
Okay I never knew. Thank you!
If I were to apply early for next cycle would I have a better chance at the schools on my list?

Okay I never knew. Thank you!
If I were to apply early for next cycle would I have a better chance at the schools on my list?
I frankly think that you may as well continue with this cycle. The HBCU's lag (in time) notoriously in their evaluation of candidates so you will be fine there.

The only reason to delay your application is if you believe that you will get a 30 or better on the MCAT in January. All the CA exam sites are booked, though...

I frankly think that you may as well continue with this cycle. The HBCU's lag (in time) notoriously in their evaluation of candidates so you will be fine there.

The only reason to delay your application is if you believe that you will get a 30 or better on the MCAT in January. All the CA exam sites are booked, though...
Okay thanks a lot for your help. People say to pre-write secondaries. How can you do that if you don't know what the prompts are?

@gyngyn @Goro @SkipJunior Do you guys know if it matters when I add my schools while the primary application is processing?....

I don't believe it matters when you add your schools while your AMCAS app is still processing. However, I will let my more learned colleagues comment on this matter.

Hmmm my application already finished processing that was quick....only took 9 days... my sGPA is actually 3.52 AO (whatever that is)= 3.73 Total= 3.64
@Goro @SkipJunior @gyngyn

Last edited: