Medical What are my chances as a Canadian applicant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to thank you in advance for your help.
I am a Canadian citizen hoping to get admission to an MD medical school.
A little about myself, This is my first time applying to Us medical school, however, it is my 4th time applying to Canadian Medical schools. My cGPA is 3.86. I have written MCAT 2 times scoring 504 and 507. I am writing my 3rd MCAT in a couple of days and I am pretty sure I can score 515+.
As for my CV;
I have 500 hours of clinical volunteering in 2 hospitals
also 2 years worth of volunteering in a clinic and shadowing
3 Research positions. I have done an independent study in one of the labs with multiple presentations and submitting a full report. however no publication.
I have tutoring, mentoring
President of a club.
Continuing student scholarships only. no other awards.
Self-taught program writer and designer have been part of 2 or 3 major projects.
Drawing which helped me a lot in digital design
Worked as a photographer in a studio one summer
Worked as a website designer for a private clinic 2 years
Currently working in sales
and some other minor stuff.

I was planning to submit my primary application sooner however the whole covid-19 situation did not help and now I am at a point where I am looking to submit the primary in September.
I have already worked on some of the secondaries and I can return them in less than a week once I receive them.
I know my odds are very low as a Canadian to get interviews, especially applying this late. However, this is probably the last year that I am applying and did not want to move on without trying the USMD. I was wondering if I really get a good score on MCAT, is there a chance for me to get any interviews?!

List of Schools:

Tulane
New York Medical College
George Washington Uni School of Med and Health Sc
Michigan State Uni College of Med
State Uni of New York Upstate Med Uni
Georgetown
Uni of Colorado
Maryland
Virginia Commonwealth
Renaissance school of med at Stony Brook
Emory
Geisel
Uni of Illinois College of Med
Wayne
Central Michigan
Saint Louis U

Thanks again!
It's very hard to tell given that you'll be a 3x MCAT taker. Most internationals are superstars

You should look into the 14 or so DO schools that take Canadians.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am not interested in DO schools. As for MCAT, having an upward trend does not help?
Is retaking MCAT a disadvantage?
What do you mean by superstars? which aspect of my application is not comparable with said "superstars" and I can improve?
Beggars can't be choosy.

You have apparently 0 hours of nonclinical volunteering. Medicine is a service profession and you need to show off your altruism,

Many med schools will average MCAT scores.

Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am not interested in DO schools. As for MCAT, having an upward trend does not help?
Is retaking MCAT a disadvantage?
What do you mean by superstars? which aspect of my application is not comparable with said "superstars" and I can improve?

I would develop an interest in DO schools sooner rather than later. I don't care about the trend for your MCAT. I care about the fact that your MCAT score is low. Come back with an updated MCAT score and we can rediscuss, but right now, as an international applicant, you are not a good candidate for US MD schools.

Thanks a lot for your answers. Really appreciate it.
As for non clinical volunteering. I have volunteered as peer mentor and peer tutor in my school. Well above 250 hours.
I am not sure if that counts.

And I totally understand that with my current MCAT score I stand no chance. My question was based on the condition of scoring above 515 on MCAT which I am writing in couple of days. If I manage to get that score, do you still believe I have no chance?
I also tried to choose schools that are Canadian friendly and consider the last MCAT score. :(
Thanks a lot again!
This is a habeus scorus situation. You might have a chance, but let's see the score before we get excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.