What are my chances as a Master's Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BananaSplitMan2212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone and happy new year,

My undergrad GPA was a 3.0 overall and now getting my masters Rutgers with a GPA of 3.1-3.2 and will graduate in 2019 hopefully. I took my DAT with 19 last year but am going to retake it. During my fall semester I had to do a medical leave with 2 W's and replaced with a C and a C+. I have one other C but possibly going to change it with a grade change not sure yet but the rest are A's and B+'s, A in my dental courses, have a good recommendation letters, multiple research, volunteer in nyc where I live, will teach as a professor in 2019 in schools in nyc. Worked for general dentist for 2 year and an oral surgeon for 1 during undergrad. Currently a TA in Grad school, tutoring experience for organic chemistry, biochem etc. TA in undergrad. Was thinking to get another masters for my one year but maybe that is excessive not sure. Let me know what you guys think, anything helps!

Members don't see this ad.

You're saying that you will finish your masters with a GPA of 3.1-3.2? If that is the case then I would say it looks bleak, even though you do have solid extracurriculars.
The people I know who got in after a masters had a 4.0 if not very close to a 4.0 in their masters. If you don't have a strong undergrad GPA the masters is supposed to show admissions you can handle hard course loads and make up for the lower GPA. Maybe if you get a 22+ on the DAT it could make up for it.
An important question is, are you taking loans out for this masters program?

I know from my program with 3.5+ and solid DAT’s and have has only 1 or even no interviews but with kids with a 3.3 or so that shows a trend have had interviews and acceptance so I guess it varies. My problem is not the loans or the tuition it’s more so getting the interview or chance of getting in with these stats.

Well that was just my experience and information from what admissions committee told us at my pre-dental society. I'm honestly not sure how a second masters would look to dental schools so I can't help you there, probably would be best to contact the dental schools you are interested in applying to and discuss a second masters program with them.
Like I said your extracurriculars are stellar and are way better than mine are and I got acceptances. So if you do have an upward trend, my advice would be to retake the DAT and get a 21+ to offset your GPA. Also network while you're at Rutgers at the dental school and build connections with faculty.

Only reason I brought up loans is because having a grad plus loan for a masters program, and then potentially a second for another masters program on top of dental school tuition is going to be very rough to pay off post graduation from dental school. If you have it paid for then you're good.