What are my chances as a NY resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ach05

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Buffalo and Rutgers started looking at my application on 10/10. I didn’t do as well on the DAT as I had hoped so I wonder what my chances are?

sgpa for undergrad: 3.1
So I was a chem major my first three years and my upper level chem, physics, and math courses really brought my gpa down. I then switched to bio when I switched careers to dentistry and my gpa definitely went up. My last year gpa was a 3.75 and my overall for the last two years was a 3.5 I took a lot of upper level bio courses in that last year for the 3.7. My bio gpa is a 3.5

my grad gpa is a 3.45 (3.56 without +\- if that means anything). This is a thesis based masters program in biology.

DAT SCORES:
20AA
21TS
20Bio
20 GChem
22 OChem
20 QR
20 RC
18 PAT

EC:
900+ hours as a graduate research assistant studying development of the exoskeleton in C.elegans

1 research publication

5000+ hours of work experience
Jobs: Working with doctors and nurses in a hospital as a liaison, Patient Care Rep in a urgent care, Math/Science tutor for underprivileged students

shadowing: 144 hours

volunteering: 140 hours
Worked with minority children in a underfunded school to help them prepare for college admissions
Science tutor for a semester in my undergrad

I’m a south Asian immigrant coming from a low income family. I wrote my personal statement about giving back to my community as a dentist as well as other underprivileged communities.

please let me know your HONEST opinions. Buffalo would be my #1 target.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Buffalo and Rutgers started looking at my application on 10/10. I didn’t do as well on the DAT as I had hoped so I wonder what my chances are?

sgpa for undergrad: 3.1
So I was a chem major my first three years and my upper level chem, physics, and math courses really brought my gpa down. I then switched to bio when I switched careers to dentistry and my gpa definitely went up. My last year gpa was a 3.75 and my overall for the last two years was a 3.5 I took a lot of upper level bio courses in that last year for the 3.7. My bio gpa is a 3.5

my grad gpa is a 3.45 (3.56 without +\- if that means anything). This is a thesis based masters program in biology.

DAT SCORES:
20AA
21TS
20Bio
20 GChem
22 OChem
20 QR
20 RC
18 PAT

EC:
900+ hours as a graduate research assistant studying development of the exoskeleton in C.elegans

1 research publication

5000+ hours of work experience
Jobs: Working with doctors and nurses in a hospital as a liaison, Patient Care Rep in a urgent care, Math/Science tutor for underprivileged students

shadowing: 144 hours

volunteering: 140 hours
Worked with minority children in a underfunded school to help them prepare for college admissions
Science tutor for a semester in my undergrad

I’m a south Asian immigrant coming from a low income family. I wrote my personal statement about giving back to my community as a dentist as well as other underprivileged communities.

please let me know your HONEST opinions. Buffalo would be my #1 target.

Thank you all!

how much time do you have left for your masters?

Members don't see this ad :)
One semester after this current one. Why?
some schools like to accept people who are finished with their masters, but you will be by the time of matriculation

did you only apply to buffalo and Rutgers?
if not, how many and which schools did you apply to?

some schools like to accept people who are finished with their masters, but you will be by the time of matriculation

did you only apply to buffalo and Rutgers?
if not, how many and which schools did you apply to?

Yes I applied quite late so I thought about just sticking with those two. I really don’t want to go to a private so won’t even bother applying to those. I’d rather applying again next year if I don’t get in this year. Also yes I’ll definitely be done with my masters by then.

I replied on the previous thread that got closed that buffalo doesn't give preference to residents.

When I interviewed there a couple of weeks, an out of state applicant did ask about that and one of the admissions people replied that the reason why the student is majority from New York is because 1. most of the applicants are from New York and 2. Even after applicants get accepted, mostly New Yorkers decide to go to Buffalo.

If you read the Buffalo dental school website, it states there
"
Q: Does your school place preference on in–state students?

A:
All in-state and out-of-state candidates who meet our admission requirements will receive a full file review and equal consideration.

All admission data is located on the Commission on Dental Accreditation [CODA] website. "

Last edited: