Medical What are my chances as an international student?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am an international student with a masters degree in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics in my home country. Due to reasons of my own, I want to make a career change to health care. I really want to apply MD programs in the US and Canada. I know that the process is extremely difficult but I want to thoroughly understand my situation. What are my chances as as international student who didn't study in the US? What can I do to improve my situation?
This thread will help. After you read through it, ask more questions if you need to: A Guide to Applying US Med School with a Foreign Bachelor Degree

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am confused if I should do a post bacc or smp. Also most of these courses do not accept non-resident, non-citizen students. Can u give me some guidance?
You would have the best options for med school application if you get accepted into a US bachelor degree program and plan to earn at least 60-90 semester hours (two to three full-time years of college). Plan to take all prerequisites during that time.

I understand. Thank you for helping me out.
1) But won't it be difficult for me to get into an undergraduate program after having a masters degree already?
2) Also I am not quite familiar with the US education system, but is it possible to complete a bachelors in 2 or 3 yrs?
3) Shoud I also consider BS/MD programs (7/8yrs)? What would be my chances?
1 & 3) Not my area of expertise considering the number of institutions that are out there.
2) If a US university accepts some of your credit transferred from your undergrad college, those credits would count toward their graduation requirements, which would make getting a US bachelors degree easier to attain in 2+ years. Even if those credits are not accepted, getting a degree in 3 years is possible with summer school and higher-than-typical credit loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.