What are my chances at a Texas MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justanotherday1212

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am applying to Texas schools this summer, and I'd really want to go to UT McGovern. I'd be happy with any MD school. What kind of chances do I have with where I am at? Should I consider seeking research? I really appreciate any feedback!

MCAT: 512 (126/127/128/131)
cGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 3.98
Shadowing/Clinical experience: ~400 hours
Volunteering: ~500 hours
Research: none
I am involved in a couple of organizations and had a leadership role in one of them.
Spent my first summer at a real estate internship and my second summer doing clinical work and taking classes.
LOR and Essays will be solid!

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on anecdotal evidence as well as acceptance averages, I'd say your chances at a Texas MD are extremely high.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on anecdotal evidence as well as acceptance averages, I'd say your chances at a Texas MD are extremely high.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you for responding! Do you think my MCAT meets the requirement? Is it "alright" or "good"? Do you have any tips on where I can improve? Thank you so much!

Thank you for responding! Do you think my MCAT meets the requirement? Is it "alright" or "good"? Do you have any tips on where I can improve? Thank you so much!
You know how a B is neither average nor excellent? That's your MCAT, since you asked. Perfectly solid, above average. With your killer GPA, you probably have a chance at MOST Texas schools. Research certainly wouldn't hurt, so you might consider seeking some out. Even after you submit your application, because that would be a solid update letter through the cycle and give you a great thing to indicate your interest at particular schools. Still, you've got a really good chance. I would suggest applying to EVERY Texas school, including UIW and TCU, which aren't in TMDSAS, but those are just safeties. Shoot your shot! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user