Dec 5, 2010
Status
My science GPA is 2.8, cumulative GPA 3.3 and MCAT is 21

Please tell me what you think my chances are. I see that many schools have a higher science GPA and MCAT, and it is worrying me.

cougarblue84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
My advice would be to contact the schools directly if you'd really like to know. You'd probably want to strengthen other areas of your application since your science GPA and MCAT are below average.

Last edited:

bonvivant07

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
From my understanding, you are on the lower side. I guess the best thing would be to do some more shadowing and maybe retake the MCAT?

darkandtwisty

5+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2009
Ohio
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you still in school? Are you in any extracurriculars or doing any volunteering? If so, raise that science GPA to at least a 3.0 and I think you will be okay. Oh, also, make sure you shadow and get a LOR from a DPM.

Sep 1, 2010
Status
Until you apply, your chances are 0%. Upon application, your chances will increase exponentially.

Your MCAT/sGPA are a little below average for acceptance; do you have the time to bump your science GPA up? If you don't have enough remaining classes to make much of a difference, retaking the MCAT with a higher score would also be beneficial. If neither of these are an option, apply anyway! Your scores are close, and an interview could seal the deal.

That being said, the individual schools can tell you better than anyone here, and between applying and not applying, you're way more likely to get in if you apply ;). Good luck!

BTW, the "Questions about Scholl College" thread had responses from Mandy in their admissions department towards similar questions.
Hi darkandtwisty,

Can I assume you've been following some of the advice I've given to others? If so, then, Scholl would welcome your application so long as you are able to answer the following questions:

I have done XYZ to prepare for a career in medicine, specifically podiatric medicine. From completing XYZ, I have knowledge that allows me to say I desire to become a podiatric physician. From my research into Scholl, I can say that the reason I desire to be admitted to Scholl is ABC.

If you can answer those questions, I look forward to reading your application!

The Real Scholl
Hi Danny,

Great question! For the most part, no, we don't have any specific GPA cut offs to speak of at Scholl. We really do evaluate the whole application and try to understand the context of the GPA x MCAT x Experience. Now, that said... yes, from time to time the reason we deny applicants is due to low GPA (or in some cases low MCAT score) but only after we have looked at the application in its entirety.

I hope that helps!

Good luck!
Mandy
Again, good luck! I hope this helped.

OP
P
Dec 5, 2010
Status
Thank you for your replies! I am going to try to take more science classes, although I feel it wont boost my GPA too much. Is it really necessary to take the MCAT over again? I am willing, but standardized tests arent my strong point.

Also... My top choices are Temple and Ohio, how are my chances for those schools? Does Ohio really have a minimum of 22, or is that their average score of current students?

cougarblue84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
For OCPM, the minimum acceptable MCAT score is 22.

Sep 9, 2010
Status
Podiatry Student
For OCPM, the minimum acceptable MCAT score is 22.
That's a straight up lie.. I know first hand that OCPM's minimum acceptable MCAT requirements are not 22. Plus they were giving scholarship money for MCAT's lower than that.

darkandtwisty

5+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2009
Ohio
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That's a straight up lie.. I know first hand that OCPM's minimum acceptable MCAT requirements are not 22. Plus they were giving scholarship money for MCAT's lower than that.
When I interviewed there, Dean Lott told us that the minimum is a 22. This could be a new thing this year perhaps.

Apr 18, 2010
The Westside
Status
Podiatry Student
My science GPA is 2.8, cumulative GPA 3.3 and MCAT is 21

Please tell me what you think my chances are. I see that many schools have a higher science GPA and MCAT, and it is worrying me.

Your chances would have been rather GREAT as of August. December prob means classes are arond 25-50% full. That means you still have a great shot of getting in somewhere. Based on stats alone, you had >90 % chance of accepantance to at least one of the schools if you would have applied earlier. I'd guess you still have >75% chance considering you are in the middle of the cycle. Forget about the extra science classes unless you want to waste a year for a scholarship oppotunity. My advice, create a appliction and apply to at least 4 schools tonight.

air bud

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
Land of the free
Status
Attending Physician
Listen, almost all the schools let people in with lower MCAT's than they say their cutoff is. OCPM is not the only one.

dtrack22

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Podiatrist
The OCPM thing is not new. It's been on their website and said during interviews for years.

And even though everyone let's in people with sub 22 MCATs, there is at least one school who is honest enough to claim that they don't have a cut off...instead of lying in order to make their program look better.

Mellilo is holding ocpm back. Refuses to release board scores, refuses to become affiliated with a medical institution, and refuses to accept fewer students when he loses 20% of every incoming class.

cougarblue84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Here's the link:

http://www.ocpm.edu/?page=admission-faq

"Q. What is the required score from the MCAT test?
For OCPM, the minimum acceptable MCAT score is 22."

Only two schools list an MCAT score cutoff: CSPM (16) and OCPM (22).

Last edited:

bonvivant07

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know it is rolling admission, but you can apply as late as Dec and have a good shot?

Also, when you are accepted, how long do you have to make an decision? Is it per school or is there an universal rule?

cougarblue84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
You still have a shot in December, but as is the case with all rolling admission cycles, the earlier the better. I'm pretty sure the length of time to accept an offer is 30 days for most if not all the schools.