What are my chances at MD Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diredotd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
3.1 cGPA & 3.4 sGPA
B.S Biology minor chemistry
MCAT 520 (131/128/132/129)
Shadowing 160h+ , Volunteering (medical) 200h+ , Volunteering (non medical) 120h+

Hi, I am from VA planing on applying to the next cycle and was wondering what are my chances at for MD schools in VA/MD/DC ?

My biggest issue is my GPA because I did not start taking my classes seriously until after my sophomore year. My GPA however does show an upward trend-> 2.7 (Spring Sop)-> 3.5 (Fall Junior)-> 3.6 (Spring Junior)-> 3.5 (Fall Senior) -> 3.7 (Spring Senior).

I do have a significant amount of time between now and the next cycle. If I do have a chance at any MD schools, what should I be focusing on to improve my application?

Thank you for your time

*edit grammar*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take several courses this coming year at a local college (community college would be fine). Only take courses that you believe you could receive an A in. The goal is to raise your cGPA to at least 3.3 and your sGPA to at least 3.5 . Even that small amount of improvement would increase your odds for a MD acceptance to over 50%.

A 520 is nothing to sneeze at. High disparities between GPA and MCAT get attention in a negative way, but you have a massive rising GPA trend! U MD is a hard schoo to get into for OOser, so I'd write them off. Your chances will be best with the DC schools (except Howard) and all VA schools.

Stats:
3.1 cGPA & 3.4 sGPA
B.S Biology minor chemistry
MCAT 520 (131/128/132/129)
Shadowing 160h+ , Volunteering (medical) 200h+ , Volunteering (non medical) 120h+

Hi, I am from VA planing on applying to the next cycle and was wondering what are my chances at for MD schools in VA/MD/DC ?

My biggest issue is my GPA because I did not start taking my classes seriously until after my sophomore year. My GPA however does show an upward trend-> 2.7 (Spring Sop)-> 3.5 (Fall Junior)-> 3.6 (Spring Junior)-> 3.5 (Fall Senior) -> 3.7 (Spring Senior).

I do have a significant amount of time between now and the next cycle. If I do have a chance at any MD schools, what should I be focusing on to improve my application?

Thank you for your time

*edit grammar*