Medical What are my chances at medical school with academic integrity violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be brief as there really isn't much to say. I just want an honest opinion on both what I should do/what are my chances.

I have a slightly above average GPA (3.73) with a similar sGPA
I have Nonmedical research experience ~110 Hours
I Have Shadowing experience ~ 160 Hours
I have Volunteer experience ~158 Hours
I have Community service experience ~ 35 Hours
I haven't taken the MCAT yet, and am currently enrolled in a graduate program.

Unfortunately
I have 1 academic integrity violation marked on my undergraduate career (During my sophomore year)

I was wondering what people thought in regards to whether or not I can still get into an MD/DO program

Any honest feedback will be greatly appreciated
What exactly is the IA? Not all are alike.

Members don't see this ad.

Attempted to use a phone on an exam, therefore received a "F" in a "Pass/Fail" Course
How long ago was this?

I can't sugar coat any of this, but frankly, this is a bit more serious in my own book. You made an overt attempt at cheating and you knew what you were doing. Plus, there's a lack of common sense in doing this.

I'm not ready to say that your medical career is over, but it might be in stasis for awhile.

You need to put as much time as possible between the incident and applying, and lead an exemplary life. No more screw-ups. Engage in lots of service to others less fortunate than yourself, and try to engage in positions of responsibility and trust, like teaching, or being a bank teller.

When it comes time to explain this, you have to own it. No excuses.

The problems that you face are that Adcoms will think:
1) is this the type of person we want in our class?
2) with all these other candidates who didn't cheat, why should we risk taking this person?

And no, this doesn't define you as a person, but yes, one stupid mistake can keep you out of medical school.

It was during my sophomore year (Roughly 3 years ago). Currently, as a result of the pandemic, I have not been able to partake in any volunteer work/but the only thing I have been able to do (Although not under an official organization) is to get food/groceries/other items for those who are at high risk of exposure.

Also, I made an edit on my previous comment assuming you did not see it

Thank you for your transparency, do you think I could be a viable applicant for DO/MD programs this coming up cycle? (Next June/July)
Can't answer that without an MCAT score.

An MS in Biotech.
If you own your transgressions you may be fine, but I can also say some schools are less forgiving than others even with the long time elapsed. That said do well on your MCAT and ask admissions staff at schools on your wish list about their stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.