What are my chances at these schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have low stats. Applied to 15 mid-tier US schools and did not get a single interview.
Stats: ~3.58, 9PS/7VR/10BS/O

CANADIAN APPLICANT (not US citizen)

Would these 'lower-tier' schools accept me (Tell me if there are possibile others)? I know a lot are for the minorities in the US...but still...

Marshall Univ Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Mercer University School of Medicine
Morehouse School of Medicine
Howard University
Tulane University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School

Are these schools better than the Carib schools (SGU)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Marshall Univ Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine-takes zero international.
Mercer University School of Medicine-ditto
Morehouse School of Medicine- no internationals

Howard University-10/114 international, bottom 10th %tile for VS=6. Traditionally African American students but they do take others.
Tulane University School of Medicine- 1/178 international, bottom 10th %tile for VS is 8.
Eastern Virginia Medical School-5/115 are interantional matriculants. Bottom 10% for VS is 8.

You should get a copy of the MSAR so you can look this stuff up for other schools.

Your low verbal score will hold you back. If I were you i'd retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake, u have ur international status and low MCAT holding u back. Both are significant hurdles. As an international, ur stats should be superior but at the very least competitive for have good chances..
GL

I have low stats. Applied to 15 mid-tier US schools and did not get a single interview.
Stats: ~3.58, 9PS/7VR/10BS/O

CANADIAN APPLICANT (not US citizen)

Would these 'lower-tier' schools accept me (Tell me if there are possibile others)? I know a lot are for the minorities in the US...but still...

Marshall Univ Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Mercer University School of Medicine
Morehouse School of Medicine
Howard University
Tulane University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School

Are these schools better than the Carib schools (SGU)?

Hmm, lets see, Marshall is a state school, no way. Howard and Morehouse want minorities, so that's a no go too. Mercer is very heavy on Georgia residents, so no again. I don't know where you get Tulane and EVMS in the mix because their averages are significantly higher than yours and you are a Canadian.

Retake the MCAT.

What "mid tier" schools are you talking about? Are they Canadian friendly? Otherwise, you need to get a higher MCAT or aim a lot lower than "mid tier."

You need to improve your application with a PostBacc (not sure if any are available in Canada) and raising your MCAT by at least 5 points. Even if you were not a Canadian applicant your chances of getting in as is are extremely low to negligible.

Also, I am not sure why you applied to 15 mid-tier schools. Get a copy of the MSAR and determine whether you are at all competitive before wasting more money.