What are my chances at these schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentboi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster:
applying next year. CC prereqs. At uni now.

GPA: 3.7 science, 3.8 overall.

DAT breakdown:
Perceptual ability 18
Quantitative reasoning 18
Biology 18
Reading comprehension 17
General Chemistry 20
Organic Chemistry 21
Academic Average 19
Total Science 19

Schools list:

1. UMDNJ (in-state)
2. Midwestern (illinois)
3. Arizona
4. UCSF
5. Western
6. USC
7. LECOM
8. Indiana
9. Maryland
10. Michigan
11. Minnesota
12. UNLV
13. NYU
14. Buffalo
15. Ohio state
16. Case western
17. Penn
18. Pittsburgh

Which schools I have zero to slim chance of getting into?

Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

First time poster:
applying next year. CC prereqs. At uni now.

GPA: 3.7 science, 3.8 overall.

DAT breakdown:
Perceptual ability 18
Quantitative reasoning 18
Biology 18
Reading comprehension 17
General Chemistry 20
Organic Chemistry 21
Academic Average 19
Total Science 19

Schools list:

1. UMDNJ (in-state)
2. Midwestern (illinois)
3. Arizona
4. UCSF
5. Western
6. USC
7. LECOM
8. Indiana
9. Maryland
10. Michigan
11. Minnesota
12. UNLV
13. NYU
14. Buffalo
15. Ohio state
16. Case western
17. Penn
18. Pittsburgh

Which schools I have zero to slim chance of getting into?

Thanks..

For Arizona you'll need A LOT of community service hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you thought about retaking the DAT? your GPA is great but I think a higher DAT would definitely help you out. I've heard Pitt and Maryland like the higher test numbers

I agree. I think you should retake DAT and atleast bring up to a 20 or higher.
GPA is good though!!! :D
They also look at EC, so start volunteering at a dental office and community places, then your chances will be probably high!

Great GPA. DAT could be a bit better, but that's coming from someone with a AA20, so its your call. As long as your have a good number of extracurriculars and some shadowing you should be alright. I can only speak on behalf of Minnesota, Buffalo, Penn since those are the only common ones where I interviewed. Why not throw UDM on your list as well? Might as well considering the big list. Again, your call.

Also, just a suggestion. Your post may get buried today since many acceptances come out today and people's adrenaline/stress/anxiety/anger/excitement levels are directed towards other things. So if that does happen, just bump it in a day or two and I'm sure people will be willing to help.

Good luck man.

Yeah I kind of feel my DAT is low lol... I'll think about retaking I guess..

Make sure to check each school's website regarding their policies on accepting CC prereq credits. Some schools do not accept them.

A high GPA + CC prereqs + Low DAT is a bad combo. You don't have a 'low' DAT per say, but some of the scores (like RC) are right at the cutoff point for some schools - in other words, the bare minimum. If you do retake the DAT, make sure you really spend a solid stretch studying hardcore for it. The BIO section is extremely important, probably weighted moreso than GC or orgo. With RC, I don't know how one studies for it, but maybe others have some good advice there.

Make sure to check each school's website regarding their policies on accepting CC prereq credits. Some schools do not accept them.

A high GPA + CC prereqs + Low DAT is a bad combo. You don't have a 'low' DAT per say, but some of the scores (like RC) are right at the cutoff point for some schools - in other words, the bare minimum. If you do retake the DAT, make sure you really spend a solid stretch studying hardcore for it. The BIO section is extremely important, probably weighted moreso than GC or orgo. With RC, I don't know how one studies for it, but maybe others have some good advice there.

I don't understand how a high GPA is bad lol...

What's considered a lot?

I went in with 400 volunteer hours and thousands of hours of dental experience and I was considered on the low side among the others that interviewed.

Does he actually have a low DAT, though? It doesn't look low to me. It looks around the average for a bunch of schools.

People get in with 18 and 19 AA all the time. Especially with a GPA as high as his.

High GPA @ community college + low DAT is a bad combo

You know he says he's at uni now. As long as he's doing just as well as he did at CC at his current 4 year university, I don't see why it should matter that he had a high GPA at a community college to start out with, except for schools that don't like CC credits. Maybe I don't understand something because I haven't applied yet, but some people have to stat out at CC's for many reasons. That's perfectly legitimate, and as long as they do just as well when they transfer to universities, I don't think their achievements at CC's should be discounted just because they were at a CC.

I went in with 400 volunteer hours and thousands of hours of dental experience and I was considered on the low side among the others that interviewed.

Woah, that's actually a lot. I have around double your volunteering hours because volunteering is something I really enjoyed, but I definitely don't have as much dental exp. I'm sitting at around 30 hours right now. What did you do for dental exp? Just shadowing or other stuff too?

Check out this spreadsheet from doctootheache about CC and prereqs:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=938759

Some of the schools you are interested in may not accept CC prereqs or very strongly prefer they are taken at a 4 year college. Double check with the schools' websites if you are doubtful - there would be no sense in wasting money applying to schools that will flat out reject you for this.

Check out this spreadsheet from doctootheache about CC and prereqs:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=938759

Some of the schools you are interested in may not accept CC prereqs or very strongly prefer they are taken at a 4 year college. Double check with the schools' websites if you are doubtful - there would be no sense in wasting money applying to schools that will flat out reject you for this.

This is some helpful info! :D

I can't remark on the schools list because I'm not a seasoned applicant, but if you keep your GPA where it is, I don't think you need a retake. Your scores are perfectly fine, and you aren't below any cutoffs. Sure, they may not cut it for Harvard, but who wants to take Calc 2, anyways!?! Hah! :laugh: People get in with these scores all the time.

Now, if your GPA falls, that won't be a good thing because they'll think you can't manage it at a university. Plenty of people start at a CC for various reasons and transfer, though, so I don't think this will be paralyzing. Just keep your grades high!

Best of luck to you!

I think that your stats are fine for many of those schools. I did three semesters at a community college and the rest at a four year university. I took both general chemistry and general biology at my community college. I have a 20AA. I was interviewed by all three of the schools that I applied to and I was accepted at two, wait listed at the other. If you are applying to that many schools, you will more than likely get into at least one. The funny thing is that my best section on the DAT was general chemistry, which I took at CC. CC coursework is not always easier contrary to many individuals beliefs. Also, you can contact admissions counselors and get their opinion. Obviously their opinion is much more valuable than any of ours. Good Luck-- I am sure you will do great!

I think that your stats are fine for many of those schools. I did three semesters at a community college and the rest at a four year university. I took both general chemistry and general biology at my community college. I have a 20AA. I was interviewed by all three of the schools that I applied to and I was accepted at two, wait listed at the other. If you are applying to that many schools, you will more than likely get into at least one. The funny thing is that my best section on the DAT was general chemistry, which I took at CC. CC coursework is not always easier contrary to many individuals beliefs. Also, you can contact admissions counselors and get their opinion. Obviously their opinion is much more valuable than any of ours. Good Luck-- I am sure you will do great!

My best section of the DAT was gen chem and ochem as well (20,21). Both taken at CC.

Remove penn, pitt, and maryland