MD What are my chances at top 20 medical schools in the country?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moshi Supertramp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was just wondering if I could get some opinion on my application.
Background story:
So, I am the first generation to go to college. I did not start public school until the age of 13 because I was not exposed to any public education until the age of 13 due to religious studies which were only taught in arabic. Dropped out of high school and recieved GED. Went to a community college and had 9 Withdrawals (7 include science/math courses and did not know what I wanted to do in life) due to many reasons such as English not being my first language, family issues (family member on drugs) and financial disadvantages (lived below poverty line income). Ended up with a 3.126 GPA and decided I want to become a doctor because not only I lost my grandmother to cancer at a young age but also lost my aunt and close family friend to cancer also during the same time I transferred to a four year college. I could see the same look in their eyes of losing hope as I did in my grandmother's. It really broke me and I decided I want to become a doctor and be that hope so people like my close relatives and family friend don't have to suffer. I ended up majoring in Biology and got the following GPA for 6 semesters in order at this four year college:
1) 3.92 (17 credits)
2) 4.00 (17 credits)
3) 3.95 (18 credits)
4) 3.86 (17 credits)
5) 4.00 (9 credits)
6) 4.00 (9 credits)
I graduated with a 3.95 GPA overall at this four year college with "summa cum laude" with no withdrawals on my transcript at this four year college. Been on the president's list (3.75+ GPA) for all of those 6 semesters, won 2 scholarships at this school, became a Fulbright scholarship finalist (been invited by the country I applied to and been given a scholarship at the school I was accepted to do masters program even though I did not win Fulbright), ended up with a 3.71sGPA/3.70 cGPA combining the community college GPA and four-year college GPA. Done volunteer at one of the top hospitals in NY for about 2 years around 800+ hours, shadowed doctors such as a cardiologist, internal medicine, and neurologist, trying to get a research in one of the top 20 medical schools research department and if not then I will be doing research at this four year college in a organic chemistry laboratory, immigrated to the US at the age of 11, did not speak or understand english until the age of 15-16, currently studying for the new MCAT and will be applying next year. Also, I should mention that I am currently 27 and will be applying when I am 28. I started college real late and went part time a lot at a community college. Hypothetically speaking what are my chances at the current top 20 Medical Schools including the IVY and non IVY league if I am to do exceptionally well on the MCAT? Will those 9 W in my community college career prevent me from entering one of these top 20 medical schools for an MD program. I should say I am only interested in MD program. I would very much like some guidance on this matter. What can I do aside from a good mcat score to strengthen my medical school application? Also, I retook some of the pre-reqs in which I got A in and also got A in the likes of biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, bioinformatics, cell biology, and microbiology in my first try at this four year school.

Thank you,
MS

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: