Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD What are my chances? cGPA 3.2 sGPA 3.6 no MCAT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by R_Daneel_Olivaw89, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. R_Daneel_Olivaw89

R_Daneel_Olivaw89

Pre-Medical
    Here is my situation, any input would be great.

sGPA - 3.67
    cGPA - 3.2
    Major: Psychology & Biology

I still have 3 semesters left, and if I play my cards right I can bring the cGPA to 3.4 and the sGPA to >3.7. I have an upward trend since switching to premed (started as a psych major only). My last 2 semesters were heavy science classes and I earned a 3.9 and 3.8. I have a couple C's on my record (gen eds and psych courses), so I'm planning on taking some upper level psych courses in the same area to show I can handle the material. I was a dumb kid years ago when I started college (2008) and didn't put the effort into school that I should have. Over the past 5 semesters my cGPA is over 3.4.

ECs

- 1 year research apprenticeship in a clinical psych lab
    - Volunteered for 1 year as a facilitator working with an autistic child.
    - Currently volunteer in an ER dept.
    - Shadowed an orthopedic surgeon for a week
    - EMT Certification, working on getting a job as an ER Tech
    - Planning on doing more shadowing and maybe an apprenticeship in a biology lab

LORs

- Associate professor in Biology (I was her student)
    - Psychologist (the head of the research team I worked with)
    - Surgeon (the doctor I shadowed for a week)
    - The mother of the autistic child I worked with
    - Associate Professor in Mathematics (took both semesters of Calc with him and got As in both classes)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    I don't think anyone can give you a reasonable "chance" without an MCAT. I don't see anything particularly lacking, although some "outside of medicine" activities/hobbies would be nice. Obviously the cGPA and the future MCAT are going to be your biggest concerns.

Saxappeal1 likes this.
  4. R_Daneel_Olivaw89

R_Daneel_Olivaw89

Pre-Medical
    Thanks a lot. I'm planning to take the MCAT in about a year, so that will create a clearer picture. I'm not sure if this counts, but I am a musician. I have played guitar, piano, and sang for many years. I don't really perform anymore, however.

5. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    All I can say is that upward trends are good, and if you can get your GPAs to where you hope they'll be, then your numbers would be competitive.

About the ads