MD What are my chances? cGPA 3.2 sGPA 3.6 no MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R_Daneel_Olivaw89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation, any input would be great.

sGPA - 3.67
cGPA - 3.2
Major: Psychology & Biology

I still have 3 semesters left, and if I play my cards right I can bring the cGPA to 3.4 and the sGPA to >3.7. I have an upward trend since switching to premed (started as a psych major only). My last 2 semesters were heavy science classes and I earned a 3.9 and 3.8. I have a couple C's on my record (gen eds and psych courses), so I'm planning on taking some upper level psych courses in the same area to show I can handle the material. I was a dumb kid years ago when I started college (2008) and didn't put the effort into school that I should have. Over the past 5 semesters my cGPA is over 3.4.

ECs

- 1 year research apprenticeship in a clinical psych lab
- Volunteered for 1 year as a facilitator working with an autistic child.
- Currently volunteer in an ER dept.
- Shadowed an orthopedic surgeon for a week
- EMT Certification, working on getting a job as an ER Tech
- Planning on doing more shadowing and maybe an apprenticeship in a biology lab

LORs

- Associate professor in Biology (I was her student)
- Psychologist (the head of the research team I worked with)
- Surgeon (the doctor I shadowed for a week)
- The mother of the autistic child I worked with
- Associate Professor in Mathematics (took both semesters of Calc with him and got As in both classes)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone can give you a reasonable "chance" without an MCAT. I don't see anything particularly lacking, although some "outside of medicine" activities/hobbies would be nice. Obviously the cGPA and the future MCAT are going to be your biggest concerns.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone can give you a reasonable "chance" without an MCAT. I don't see anything particularly lacking, although some "outside of medicine" activities/hobbies would be nice. Obviously the cGPA and the future MCAT are going to be your biggest concerns.

Thanks a lot. I'm planning to take the MCAT in about a year, so that will create a clearer picture. I'm not sure if this counts, but I am a musician. I have played guitar, piano, and sang for many years. I don't really perform anymore, however.

All I can say is that upward trends are good, and if you can get your GPAs to where you hope they'll be, then your numbers would be competitive.

Here is my situation, any input would be great.

sGPA - 3.67
cGPA - 3.2
Major: Psychology & Biology

I still have 3 semesters left, and if I play my cards right I can bring the cGPA to 3.4 and the sGPA to >3.7. I have an upward trend since switching to premed (started as a psych major only). My last 2 semesters were heavy science classes and I earned a 3.9 and 3.8. I have a couple C's on my record (gen eds and psych courses), so I'm planning on taking some upper level psych courses in the same area to show I can handle the material. I was a dumb kid years ago when I started college (2008) and didn't put the effort into school that I should have. Over the past 5 semesters my cGPA is over 3.4.

ECs

- 1 year research apprenticeship in a clinical psych lab
- Volunteered for 1 year as a facilitator working with an autistic child.
- Currently volunteer in an ER dept.
- Shadowed an orthopedic surgeon for a week
- EMT Certification, working on getting a job as an ER Tech
- Planning on doing more shadowing and maybe an apprenticeship in a biology lab

LORs

- Associate professor in Biology (I was her student)
- Psychologist (the head of the research team I worked with)
- Surgeon (the doctor I shadowed for a week)
- The mother of the autistic child I worked with
- Associate Professor in Mathematics (took both semesters of Calc with him and got As in both classes)