MD What Are My Chances? cgpa 3.48 sgpa 3.54 MCAT 506

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mclan22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone in advance for the insight.

-Rising Senior at University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. Majoring in Cellular and Molecular Biology, with a minor in music. I'm from Illinois and I am Chinese American.

-Haven't decided schools, but strongly prefer MD. Very willing to apply lower tier/more unknown schools. Willing to take a gap year if this cycle yields no results.

-Cumulative GPA 3.48, Science GPA 3.54

-MCAT 128/124/126/128= 506

-Research: 200 hrs paid summer job at IUPUI, conducted research on the Zika virus, written entirely myself under the supervision of a mentor. Pushed for publication but didn't go through.

-Clinical Volunteering: Wheelchair pusher in the emergency room, -150 hrs. Lab assistant for PhD student, 150 hours.

-Shadowed OB/GYN MFM M.D while he made rounds. 50 hrs, observed a C-section.

-Non-clinical volunteering: Retirement center volunteering- played piano for several hours during lunch breaks and aided the elderly in mild exercise. 350 hrs.

-Extracurriculars: Played piano for 16 years. Passed all 12 levels of music theory and performance at the age of 14 as recognized by ISMTA (Illinois State Music Teachers Association). Several first place trophies at Geneva Granquist Competitions, which are hosted in Illinois. 2nd place at state. Don't know if music matters though. -Several years of competitive basketball at local tournaments. Still doing so.

-Employment history: aforementioned paid job at IUPUI. I was a boxer and labeller for a small company, preparing boxed goods for shipment overseas. 200 hrs. Also was a piano tutor for a summer, 150 hrs.

-Sister-in-law is an M.D currently doing her fellowship in OB/GYN MFM. (yes)

-Surgery, radiology are my current top options.

-No grad degrees, rural health :thumbdown:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I understand my stats are a bit on the low side but I am willing to apply to a broad range of MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to me that schools that don't emphasize academics tend to emphasize life experience. As you don't feel that your academics are super competitive (frankly, I don't think they're that bad for lower tier schools) I would be sure that your PS is excellent and centered around those life experiences the schools will be looking for. I would also pursue more clinical exposure so that you will have this to allude to during interviews, making you more memorable and giving you a better shot at getting in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
It seems to me that schools that don't emphasize academics tend to emphasize life experience. As you don't feel that your academics are super competitive (frankly, I don't think they're that bad for lower tier schools) I would be sure that your PS is excellent and centered around those life experiences the schools will be looking for. I would also pursue more clinical exposure so that you will have this to allude to during interviews, making you more memorable and giving you a better shot at getting in.

Thank you for your insight! I will keep that in mind. So you feel that my academics are reasonable for lower tier schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

Rosy Franklin
Loyola
WVU
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
U ILL
SIU IF you are from southern ILL
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with CCOM, MUCOM, MSUCOM and DMU

I want to thank everyone in advance for the insight.

-Rising Senior at University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. Majoring in Cellular and Molecular Biology, with a minor in music. I'm from Illinois and I am Chinese American.

-Haven't decided schools, but strongly prefer MD. Very willing to apply lower tier/more unknown schools. Willing to take a gap year if this cycle yields no results.

-Cumulative GPA 3.48, Science GPA 3.54

-MCAT 128/124/126/128= 506

-Research: 200 hrs paid summer job at IUPUI, conducted research on the Zika virus, written entirely myself under the supervision of a mentor. Pushed for publication but didn't go through.

-Clinical Volunteering: Wheelchair pusher in the emergency room, -150 hrs. Lab assistant for PhD student, 150 hours.

-Shadowed OB/GYN MFM M.D while he made rounds. 50 hrs, observed a C-section.

-Non-clinical volunteering: Retirement center volunteering- played piano for several hours during lunch breaks and aided the elderly in mild exercise. 350 hrs.

-Extracurriculars: Played piano for 16 years. Passed all 12 levels of music theory and performance at the age of 14 as recognized by ISMTA (Illinois State Music Teachers Association). Several first place trophies at Geneva Granquist Competitions, which are hosted in Illinois. 2nd place at state. Don't know if music matters though. -Several years of competitive basketball at local tournaments. Still doing so.

-Employment history: aforementioned paid job at IUPUI. I was a boxer and labeller for a small company, preparing boxed goods for shipment overseas. 200 hrs. Also was a piano tutor for a summer, 150 hrs.

-Sister-in-law is an M.D currently doing her fellowship in OB/GYN MFM. (yes)

-Surgery, radiology are my current top options.

-No grad degrees, rural health :thumbdown:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I understand my stats are a bit on the low side but I am willing to apply to a broad range of MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest:

Rosy Franklin
Loyola
WVU
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
U ILL
SIU IF you are from southern ILL
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with CCOM, MUCOM, MSUCOM and DMU
Thank you for the list of suggestions, I'll be sure to check those schools out.

Thank you for your insight! I will keep that in mind. So you feel that my academics are reasonable for lower tier schools?

Yeah I would say that, although they're on the low side, they aren't completely unreasonable. Use the MSAR in addition to feedback from seasoned SDN members to find where you have the best chance of acceptance.