This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Stats are as follows:
I am Small Town (less than 10,000) Tennessee resident, and I attend a public in-state University
-Microbiology Major
-3.61 Overall GPA, 3.9 non-science, 3.50 Science
-200 shadowing hours in surgery, internal medicine, anesthesiology, and family medicine through ETSU's Medical Horizons program (this is a program that is run by Quillen COM)
-20 Hours shadowing in Vanderbilt Cardiothoracic surgery
-60 hours spent volunteering as an athletic trainer in my home-town
-350 hours of being a Teaching Assistant in Biology
-20 hours of volunteering at a local hospital
-150 hours of research experience with a University Research Award and Publication to my name.
-Volunteered for RAM clinic. I was a dental assistant for the clinics. (Free medical, dental, and vision clinic for the Under-deserved)
-Participated in the Childhood Arthritis Walk in Nashville, Tennessee for the past four years.
-Member of the Chemical Medical Club and The Wildlife Society
-2000 hours working as a Scribe and triaging patients in a Family Practice clinic underneath several MDs, PAs, and NPs. (this is my current job, so my hours should continue to climb.)
-I was Student Ambassador for my University.
-I am starting my Masters of Business Administration with a concentration in Healthcare Management.

My GPA trend is pretty flat lined at around a 3.66/3.7 for all my years in school. I had a bad one semester, and it dropped my GPA to a 3.51 so I had to fight back from that. That semester I made the only C I ever made in College in Organic Chemistry 1.

And speaking of Chemistry, I took 8 credit hours of General Chemistry with labs, 4 hours of Organic Chemistry with lab, and then 6 hours of biochemistry without lab. My Major did not require Organic 2, and my university does not offer biochemistry with labs (instead they offer a 2 credit hour free-standing biochem lab.) How does this affect my application and should I take the free-standing lab?

Pending MCAT (June test date), what is my relative chances of getting an acceptance to a DO school? I really like VCOM especially Auburn, LMU, and NYIT Arkansas. Any other advice?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to cover all my bases.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone is going to tell you to update with an MCAT score because it's very hard to say without that. As for the chemistry requirement-- This will be school specific. I believe some schools don't require labs actually.

Everyone is going to tell you to update with an MCAT score because it's very hard to say without that. As for the chemistry requirement-- This will be school specific. I believe some schools don't require labs actually.

Thanks! I figure that's what I'll be told. Truthfully, I'm just aiming for a 500, and that's about what I've been averaging on my Full Length practice MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I figure that's what I'll be told. Truthfully, I'm just aiming for a 500, and that's about what I've been averaging on my Full Length practice MCATs.
Given your stats and EC's, a 500 will probably net you a (few) interview(s) if you apply early and broadly. But a 500 is the bare minimum score at which I'm confident you'd get interview(s). Shoot for higher!! Also milk that rural underserved living for all it's worth in your personal statement/secondary essays.

Last edited:
Given your stats and EC's, a 500 will probably net you a (few) interview(s) if you apply early and broadly. But a 500 is the bare minimum score at which I'm confident you'd get interview(s). Shoot for higher!! Also milk that rural underserved living for all it's worth in your personal statement/secondary essays.

Even though the DO average Is around a 3.6 and 500?

Even though the DO average Is around a 3.6 and 500?
The median for matriculants in 2017 was 503. The median applicant actually had a 502 in 2017.

Last edited:
Some schools will require more organic than that and won't count biochem.