What are my chances? Concerned I do not stand out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvpup

Reaction score
So this is my first post here so sorry if I do this incorrectly but I would like to hear yall's thoughts.

I am a undergraduate student studying animal science pre-vet major. By Spring 2024 I will graduate. I plan to apply to vet school this year. I am almost done with my pre requisites, just finishing up 3 of them in the fall. I am considering Texas A&M or Texas Tech as they are in state, so it would be more affordable.

My GPA is around 3.6-3.7
Science GPA is around 3.5

Did get into the honor rolls, like vice president honor rolls or chancellor honor rolls.

Currently in pre vet society

While I was in community college (and high school) I would attend art club.

Vet experience: I have around 1500+ hours shadowing/scribing for an emergency animal hospital. I got to see a range of animals, dogs, cats, rabbits and occasionally goats or pigs. I have scrubbed in to see many different surgeries and at times help communicate with clients who speak Spanish (I'm bilingual) thus help answer any questions and discuss patient's condition/diagnosis. Also wrote medical records and know a good range of medical terminology.

Animal experience: around 240 hours
I have pet sitting experience (nothing official like a job, just from close people I know). As well as tending two of my dogs litter and the puppies. Also had a pet hamster. This one is a bit of a stretch but when i was a young kid, my grandparents had chickens to which I would just handle, or pick up eggs.

I know I need more animal experience and plan to volunteer in the summer at an animal shelter. I was wondering how good enough that is? Am I really lacking? Or do I have at least a good basis to be considered for vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

do I have at least a good basis to be considered for vet school?
Sorry if this is a little long. I am just not sure what exactly you wanted feedback on, so I will write a little about everything.

Science GPA is around 3.5

I am not familiar with what the average TAMU/Texas Tech applicant looks like on paper. In general, I feel that you would have a good chance at being accepted. Your cGPA and sGPA are probably around the average for applicants, and a strong last 45 GPA would help you to stand out. Additionally, being on the honor roll helps distinguish your academic ability.

Currently in pre vet society

A lot of students are in veterinary focused clubs, so I feel that being in a pre-vet society wouldn't necessarily do much for your application. It would stand out more if you were in a leadership position, helped organize some club outings, did something meaningful like building community cat homes, etc. Anyone can be a member, but it is more unique when you actually make a difference. Other extracurriculars like art club are good to have, and show that you have a life outside of vetmed.

I have around 1500+ hours shadowing/scribing for an emergency animal hospital.

Your veterinary experience hours are average, but not very diverse. Although you are in a clinic that works with multiple different species, emergency medicine is only a very small part of the veterinary world. I'd recommend shadowing other veterinarians that are in GP, specialty, large animal, regulatory, etc. Shadowing at an animal shelter is a good start, but you shouldn't stop there!

Animal experience: around 240 hours

Your animal experience is on the low side, which you seem to already know. Once again, it's important to keep this diverse if possible. If you're not busy shadowing the veterinarian at the animal shelter, you could always go spend time cuddling the shelter kittens and puppies. They need love too!

Am I really lacking?

One thing that I didn't see you mention was community volunteer work. It's easy to get caught up in the idea that vetmed is all about the animals, but it's really not. Veterinarians work to improve the lives of their human clients, their furry/scaly patients, and the community as a whole. Showing that you are involved in your community with non-animal/vet related volunteering would REALLY stand out.

In summary, I do feel that you are slightly lacking in veterinary experience diversity, animal experience hours, and community involvement. But overall I think you are in a good place and can easily improve your application to stand out by the time you apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user