What are my chances? (csu, freshmen, low gpa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odalek07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my second semester as a freshmen at CSU Long Beach and I just have a question about what I can do from here on out to get a better chance at going to a great medical school.

I finished my first semester with a 2.5 GPA and am now really regretting my study habits last semester. Even If I get straight A's here on out my GPA will end up at around 3.75 which I suppose is a good GPA, but also the two C's I got were from my pre-calc class and in english. I'm sure if I work hard I will be able to get A's in the rest of my BCPM classes boosting my BCPM GPA. But because I go to a csu and the grades are inflated compared to a UC, will I have a lower chance of getting into a good medical school?

Also, if I really want to go to a UC med school, should I just go to post-bacc and aim for a higher gpa there?

I'm really nervous because I know that it's going to be really competitive being a csu student starting out with a low gpa. But I have no doubt that my dream is to go to a really good medical school and become an MD.

Also if there are any other tips that could help me, I would be really grateful!

Members don't see this ad.

Work on your study habits. It's very unlikely you could get straight A's after a semester of 2.5 but it's not impossible.

While not as extreme, I had a 3.53 after my first semester. I have now had four straight 4.0 semesters and will, most likely, be getting another this semester.

Focus on time management. While I don't sit down and schedule out my entire time distribution, I do have a very good idea of how much time is necessary for my school work. When I first started doing this, I simply made sure I had at least 8-16 hours free to prepare for my exams the two days before I took them. As my habits grew, I learned that studying little bits throughout the week for each subject really is the best route to go. This ensures that you won't forget anything from wayyy back in that first week. Always study the stuff for that week, review all of the material done that week, then repeat. After the end of the 2nd week, review all of the material you've covered (so, 1st week and 2nd week). Continue doing this until your test arrives. When you are around 2-3 days out, start reviewing all of the material, making sure it is fresh in your mind.

Also, you're a freshman. Sure, start studying better, but at this point don't worry about your chances at medical school. Just work harder/more efficiently and it will fall into place. Enjoy the next three and a half years of your life. They will go by quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If those poor grades are really burning that cGPA, I strongly advise to retake those classes, its no harm and will bounce you back.

Reactions: 1 user
Go find your school's academic success people. Talk to them. Reflect hard about why your grades suffered.
Form study groups and actually work problem sets out together. Try to do the problem sets on your own before.
Keep a good schedule and do homework on the weekends. Do homework early.

Re-taking stuff doesn't really help your GPA. Just do better in the future.

You have plenty of time to do well. Just focus on this term and long term goals.

Got a 3.3 my first semester. 3.9-4.0 ever since so you can definitely turn things around. Your change will have to be even more dramatic. Maybe ease into things by taking some easier classes, get your confidence up.

you're a freshman. get your overall GPA above a 3.6 and you're on your way