MD What are my chances? :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LordOfTheFrogs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I realize I'm a little late in the application cycle. I would appreciate a bit of advice on what schools/what sorts of schools I should apply to. I am an Asian American senior attending a top-tier school for my undergrad. I am a Texas resident, but my school is in California. I've already applied to Texas state schools.

MCAT: 521
Overall GPA: 3.62
Science GPA: 3.58
Major: Biology, no honors

EC's and Activities:
  • 140+ hours over 3 school years volunteering (patient care and assistance) at a student-run free clinic, of which I am a steering committee member
  • 190+ hours over 2 school years volunteering at the same student-run clinic as above (this time I was 1. counseling patients on free or low-cost care options 2. educating them about the Affordable Care Act and how to sign up for insurance 3. introducing them to resources that could help them maintain financial and food security)
  • 135 hours over a summer volunteering at a free, government-run cancer hospital in India for the impoverished
  • 1100+ hours research over 2.25 years at a lab in my university's med school (2 journal publications in mid-tier cancer research journals; pure wet lab, no computational)
  • 700 hours research over a school year and a summer at another lab in the med school (prior to the lab experience above and without publications, dealt with genetic complications occurring in infants and fetuses, 60% wet lab, 40% computational biology)
  • 270+ hours co-founded and co-taught (for free, so basically volunteered) a credited class at my university about how to employ proper motivational interviewing techniques and its importance in patient interactions. Students were mostly undergraduate with a few graduate student exceptions. Class geared towards students who wanted to volunteer in the free clinic mentioned above. Taught for two years (1 quarter the first year, 2 quarters the second year)
  • Extra: part of a campus satirical publication for about a year; brief stint on campus debate team for about 3/4 of a year

If you took the time to read through all of that, thank you so much! I gladly welcome any advice you might have on where to apply.
Best of luck to all current applicants!

Edited: ~160 hours shadowing different physicians (a pediatrician, a primary care doc, multiple oncologists)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you asking about only TX state schools, or AMCAS schools?