What are my chances (desperate Canadian)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psab

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would love any feedback, harsh reality wouldn't mind at all. I'd like to get accepted to ANY decent MD school regardless of where it is in the states but as a Canadian I understand how I stand on the hierarchy. With a GPA of 3.4, with an improvement of going from 2.7 in first year to 3.4 in my third year. With a 509 MCAT, numerous hours of volunteering at the hospital with cancer patients, over 3 years of tutoring in underprivileged areas, working at homeless shelters, what are my realistic chances to be accepted anywhere in an MD school in the US?

-->Writing it in point form also to make life easier
-3.4GPA
-509MCAT
-Hospital volunteering >1yr
-Shadowed US MD (family relative with non-similar last name so I can do as many hours as possible)
-Tutoring >3yr
-Big Brother Big Sisters -6months
-Homeless shelter work <1yr

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are below average for US MD students. I'm not sure where you stand as a Canadian. Have you looked into DO?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are below average for US MD students. I'm not sure where you stand as a Canadian. Have you looked into DO?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

YES I have! DO would be awesome too but Id like to know whether I have any chance at the allopathic schools. So basically Im realizing my chances are slim to none. In terms of DO, would you guys say my chances are pretty good or average? How would you suggest I upgrade my chances considering my situation?

Fellow Canadian here. I can't see you getting into any MD programs with those stats. In an international, they look for impeccable stats. I recently just accepted a DO school with similar stats to yours.

Ways to improve:
- increase clinical volunteering
- shadow a DO

Apply to these:
TouroCOM-NY
UNECOM
MUCOM
MSUCOM (this is a stretch and a really, really expensive school anyways)
Midwesterns (CCOM, AZCOM)
WesternU
Rowan (if you have the funds, seen a few canadians here but its rare)
NOVA

Last edited:
With a GPA of 3.4, with an improvement of going from 2.7 in first year to 3.4 in my third year.

Are you non-trad/taken classes past college? because 2.7 -> 3.4 wouldn't average out to a 3.4 overall?

Are you non-trad/taken classes past college? because 2.7 -> 3.4 wouldn't average out to a 3.4 overall?

Maybe I could've phrased that better. I meant to say that I started off with 2.7 in my first year and now at the end of my third year I have 3.4 cGPA. In terms of my sGPA it comes out to be 3.3

Fellow Canadian here. I can't see you getting into any MD programs with those stats. In an international, they look for impeccable stats. I recently just accepted a DO school with similar stats to yours.

Ways to improve:
- increase clinical volunteering
- shadow a DO

Apply to these:
TouroCOM-NY
UNECOM
MUCOM
MSUCOM (this is a stretch and a really, really expensive school anyways)
Midwesterns (CCOM, AZCOM)
WesternU
Rowan (if you have the funds, seen a few canadians here but its rare)
NOVA

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll definitely be making my calls to each school in the summer and doing my due deligence!

Last edited: