CKrypt11

5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hello all,

As I right now, I am planning to apply to MD school this upcoming cycle. I am a senior majoring in Neurobiology. My freshmen & sophomore year I played soccer for a Division 1 athletic program. During this time we won the conference championship and participated in the NCAA tournament. However, my g.p.a suffered greatly from this due to the required 36 - 42 hours a week with constant traveling and commitment. At times, I wouldn't get back till the morning of a midterm or one of my finals.

My gpa was a Fall / Spring = 3.1 freshmen year, then dropped to a Fall = 2.7 and Spring = 2.9 sophomore year.

However, I decided it would be best to focus on academics, so I made the decision to stop playing.

My Junior year g.p.a then went up to Fall = 3.63 and Spring = 3.67, with my senior g.pa being 3.85, with one more semester to go.

CUM GPA = 3.25

I am taking my MCAT in January and have been averaging between 26 - 31.

My EC:

- Division 1 athlete for a top 40 national ranked team for 2 years.
- Became the Vice President of the soccer club team and participant, following my decision to not play Division 1 anymore due to the commitment and falling grades.
- 2 Months of volunteering at the oncology center, working with pediatrics in a joint program between the hospital and athletics.
- 8 Months of cardiac research, assisting / shadowing a residential surgeon. Main focus was on reversing the damage of necrosis on the heart following a myocardial infarction.
- Traveled to Panama for a medical outreach program for 14 days. Shadowed and practiced hands-on treatment of patients under the supervision of a doctor.

What are my chances in getting into any tier level MD school? Preferably in NY state as a NYS resident.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
If you can ace the rest of your courses and get the GPA >3.3, then your strong upoward trend, plus a good MCAT (>32) should nail you some low-medium MD schools, plus any DO school.

Hello all,

As I right now, I am planning to apply to MD school this upcoming cycle. I am a senior majoring in Neurobiology. My freshmen & sophomore year I played soccer for a Division 1 athletic program. During this time we won the conference championship and participated in the NCAA tournament. However, my g.p.a suffered greatly from this due to the required 36 - 42 hours a week with constant traveling and commitment. At times, I wouldn't get back till the morning of a midterm or one of my finals.

My gpa was a Fall / Spring = 3.1 freshmen year, then dropped to a Fall = 2.7 and Spring = 2.9 sophomore year.

However, I decided it would be best to focus on academics, so I made the decision to stop playing.

My Junior year g.p.a then went up to Fall = 3.63 and Spring = 3.67, with my senior g.pa being 3.85, with one more semester to go.

CUM GPA = 3.25

I am taking my MCAT in January and have been averaging between 26 - 31.

My EC:

- Division 1 athlete for a top 40 national ranked team for 2 years.
- Became the Vice President of the soccer club team and participant, following my decision to not play Division 1 anymore due to the commitment and falling grades.
- 2 Months of volunteering at the oncology center, working with pediatrics in a joint program between the hospital and athletics.
- 8 Months of cardiac research, assisting / shadowing a residential surgeon. Main focus was on reversing the damage of necrosis on the heart following a myocardial infarction.
- Traveled to Panama for a medical outreach program for 14 days. Shadowed and practiced hands-on treatment of patients under the supervision of a doctor.

What are my chances in getting into any tier level MD school? Preferably in NY state as a NYS resident.

Thank you!