What are my chances? ....Do I even have one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmnguye4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my stats and info:
I'll be a senior undergrad Fall 2009
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.42
- without my math classes, my sGPA would be around 3.2
- I have 3 class withdrawals in Government, Physics, and Orgo 2; marked as a W on transcript
- One class with a grade less than a B (the grade was a C+ freshman year in general biology)
-Most of my class load per semester was one credit less than full-time
Major: Biology
Minor: Math
Ethnic: Asian
Age when applying: 21 or 22 years old
I live in HOUSTON, Texas
MCAT: Will take in summer, most likely score is a 30

Extras/work:
-Work full-time in a deli with parents (they own the deli)
-Shadowed M.D. doctor 50+hours
-Shadowed D.O. doctor also
-Volunteered in the ER in hospital
-Church choir
-Volunteer teach kids piano
-Rescue homeless animals
-Founder and President of student organization for charity at school
-Some genetics research with genetic's teacher

I plan to apply to apply to all schools in Texas, Howard University, Meharry, Wisconsin schools, any M.D. or D.O. schools in Florida, and some in California and New York ... but none of them will be top schools.

Members don't see this ad.

How long did you volunteer in the ER, and what are the total hours?

Can you give more detail about what your student organization did under your leadership. You need not be extremely detailed if you'd be too identifiable.

What do you mean by "some" genetics research?

Your community service looks good. The shadowing is fine. The music involvement is good to list. With your anticipated GPA, I'd say you should have an MCAT score of 32, but happily some Texas schools are fairly forgiving, so you might be fine for the allo schools with an MCAT of 30. You should be OK for all the osteopathic schools. These comments assume that your answers to the above three questions demonstrate an average degree of involvement for clinical experience, leadership, and research.