ruskimed

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi folks,

Canadian/USA dual citizen (living in Canada) here looking at applying to US schools and I think DO will be the path I tread.

3.11 cGPA Science GPA 3.3 cGPA MCAT: 507

So I entered university after high school and I wasn't particularly ready and did poorly in pretty much all my courses. I returned to university after a couple years and consistently did 4.1/4.3 and 4.2/4.3 (3.9 on 4.0 scales) ever since.

Do I have any chance of matriculating into a DO school this year?

Peach Newport

board certified in jewish dermatology
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
A lot of people are going to immediately say you're fine for DO but this isn't necessarily the case. There seems to be this attitude on SDN DO forums that anyone with. 3.1 and a 500 will be fine "if they apply to the new schools." Yeah, no. Not true at all.

For you I'd say it depends on the details of those recent credits.How many credits was it? Which classes? What were your grades?

For example, a 3.9 in 30+ credits of upper/grad level science classes would be very good. A 3.9 in 15-20 credits of liberal arts fluff would not be.

However, the biggest problem you have right now is that it's the middle of september. This cycle's already started - if you're not finishing the last of your secondaries by now, you're pretty late. Some people do well despite applying a little late, but they usually have better numbers.

Assuming your last few credits are strong and you started an AACOMAS app now, I'd put your chances of matriculation at about a 30-50%.

Of course, I might have no idea what I'm talking about.

Reactions: chinesedude
About the Ads

Cath Up

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I have similar stats, applied in July/August. Have 5 DO interviews. I think it is getting late in the cycle to start applications. I have a lot of clinical/volunteer experiences and had time to write essays that I think are decent quality- if you have subpar clinical and volunteer experiences, no DO shadowing/letter, I would definitely wait until next cycle, and make up for what you don't have.

OP
R

ruskimed

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the advice thus far.

I do have some decent ECs but as a Canadian I have only gotten limited MD shadowing. Thanks for the information on the courses, I have a pretty healthy mix of both sciences (upper level chemistry/biology) as well as some behavioural sciences (lots of Psych).

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
It is not late to apply for DO schools. Ideally you should submit your application before the end of September and all your secondaries by October. I suggest these schools with your stats:

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

LECOM

MU-COM

ATSU-SOMA

Reactions: Cath Up

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'd wait until next cycle OP and continue clinical exposure, volunteering, and maybe take a few post baccs at a local community college to boost your GPA. Your MCAT is good for most DO schools, but I think the combination of your less than stellar GPAs, being a non US citizen and it getting later into the cycle, you would be best served to apply early and broadly next time!

Cath Up

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
It is not late to apply for DO schools. Ideally you should submit your application before the end of September and all your secondaries by October. I suggest these schools with your stats:

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

LECOM

MU-COM

ATSU-SOMA
Faha is probably right! He gave me a good school list and said I could receive interviews. I received interviews. (Thanks, Faha).

About the Ads