What Are My Chances? Fall 2012 Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered this forum today. (I'm typically at the Clinical Psychology forum.) I wanted to ask current MPH students and applicants about admissions to a Social and Behavioral Sciences concentration (especially if there is a Global Health and/or Infectious Disease track or component, or at the very least, an opportunity to do interdisciplinary studies). I am applying for the 2011 application cycle, to enter in 2012.

There are many factors to admit a student, but here are some of my "surface" statistics:

Current Standing: Doctoral student in psychology, Stanford U.

Soon-To-Be: Clinical psych doctoral intern at Harvard Med
GPA (Grad School): 3.76

GRE: 600V, 680Q (My GRE's are too old, from 2003. I'll have to re-take it.)
Stats Course: 3 quarters/terms of grad-level Statistics; 1 semester of undergraduate Statistics

Clinical work: about 4 years post-undergrad (including Langley Porter Psych Institute, UCSF; HIV and Hep C Clinic, SF VA Medical Center)

Research: Dissertation research (HIV/AIDS and sexual risk behaviors); a few others in interpersonal same-sex violence, LGBT curriculum in public schools, and sexual risk behaviors + drug use; and 1 upcoming poster presentation, but no publications. I like reading research, I'm not a fan of doing it :laugh:

Abroad: Brief month at a psych hospital in the Philippines; and 1 year teaching English in Japan

What do you think? I especially hope to be in a 1-year program, because I've had ENOUGH GRAD SCHOOL! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just have a good statement of purpose which outlines clearly why you want an MPH [in SBS] and your future goals. Take the GRE before August this year [try your best to do that].
I'm sure you'll get into whatever program you apply to.

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered this forum today. (I'm typically at the Clinical Psychology forum.) I wanted to ask current MPH students and applicants about admissions to a Social and Behavioral Sciences concentration (especially if there is a Global Health and/or Infectious Disease track or component, or at the very least, an opportunity to do interdisciplinary studies). I am applying for the 2011 application cycle, to enter in 2012.

There are many factors to admit a student, but here are some of my "surface" statistics:

Current Standing: Doctoral student in psychology, Stanford U.

Soon-To-Be: Clinical psych doctoral intern at Harvard Med
GPA (Grad School): 3.76

GRE: 600V, 680Q (My GRE's are too old, from 2003. I'll have to re-take it.)
Stats Course: 3 quarters/terms of grad-level Statistics; 1 semester of undergraduate Statistics

Clinical work: about 4 years post-undergrad (including Langley Porter Psych Institute, UCSF; HIV and Hep C Clinic, SF VA Medical Center)

Research: Dissertation research (HIV/AIDS and sexual risk behaviors); a few others in interpersonal same-sex violence, LGBT curriculum in public schools, and sexual risk behaviors + drug use; and 1 upcoming poster presentation, but no publications. I like reading research, I'm not a fan of doing it :laugh:

Abroad: Brief month at a psych hospital in the Philippines; and 1 year teaching English in Japan

What do you think? I especially hope to be in a 1-year program, because I've had ENOUGH GRAD SCHOOL! :D

I would say you'd be good fit for many programs. Are there any particular programs that interest you? From one you have listed, I would think Emory, Columbia, NYU, and a few other programs would be right in your direction.