What are my Chances for a DO? 3.0 GPA 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aretetosloper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am currently rounding off my sophomore year at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and had a few questions regarding being accepted into a school of osteopathic medicine.

First off my GPA. My GPA as of now is a 2.90. I have not received lower than a B(Bio 130,140 B Chem 120 B+ Genetics A) in any of my science classes until just recently where I received a C in Chem 130.

To me, it seems that the C will reflect badly on my overall science scores(being that I almost scored an A in Chem 120) and I am seriously contemplating on retaking the course over the summer. Does this seem like a good Idea? Will DO schools see both grades?

I currently have 3 C's the other two being in Calc 150 (C) and Calc 151 (C+)

Secondly, my prospective MCAT scoring is between a 30-33. Does this seem competitive for a DO School?

Finally my extracurricular activities consist of 3 months shadowing an MD and 3 months of working at an open wound clinic. Does this seem to work in my favor or do I need to focus on gaining more E.C.?

I live in Tennessee and I am planning on applying to Lincoln Memorial Uni. and ETSU through their DO program.

What are my chances of acceptance to either of these schools?
LMU
Average GPA 3.29
Average Science GPA 3.20
Average MCAT 25.62

ETSU
Average GPA 3.45
Average Science GPA 3.40
Average MCAT 29.1

*Some end notes. During these first two years of college I was searching for my major. As of now I have currently declared a Dual major in Microbiology and Creative writing. I know that my GPA may seem low, but I know that with my Mathematics out of the way that I will be able to achieve between a 3.6-4.0 GPA for the following two years which will place me around a 3.39 GPA. I may also be taking a 5th year of college to fulfill the full requirement for both majors. Does this help may chances in any way?

Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently rounding off my sophomore year at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and had a few questions regarding being accepted into a school of osteopathic medicine.

First off my GPA. My GPA as of now is a 2.90. I have not received lower than a B(Bio 130,140 B Chem 120 B+ Genetics A) in any of my science classes until just recently where I received a C in Chem 130.

To me, it seems that the C will reflect badly on my overall science scores(being that I almost scored an A in Chem 120) and
1) I am seriously contemplating on retaking the course over the summer. Does this seem like a good Idea?
2) Will DO schools see both grades?

I currently have 3 C's the other two being in Calc 150 (C) and Calc 151 (C+)

3) Secondly, my prospective MCAT scoring is between a 30-33. Does this seem competitive for a DO School?

4) Finally my extracurricular activities consist of 3 months shadowing an MD and 3 months of working at an open wound clinic. Does this seem to work in my favor or do I need to focus on gaining more E.C.?

I live in Tennessee and I am planning on applying to Lincoln Memorial Uni. and ETSU through their DO program.

5) What are my chances of acceptance to either of these schools?
LMU
Average GPA 3.29
Average Science GPA 3.20
Average MCAT 25.62

ETSU
Average GPA 3.45
Average Science GPA 3.40
Average MCAT 29.1

*Some end notes. During these first two years of college I was searching for my major. As of now I have currently declared a Dual major in Microbiology and Creative writing. I know that my GPA may seem low, but I know that with my Mathematics out of the way that
6) I will be able to achieve between a 3.6-4.0 GPA for the following two years which will place me around a 3.39 GPA. I may also be taking a 5th year of college to fulfill the full requirement for both majors. Does this help may chances in any way?
If it were a C-, I'd say for sure to retake. If you didn't master the material sufficently to do well on the MCAT, then consider it.

2) Both grades will be on the transcript, but only the last grade will be included in your application GPA calculations.

3) Very.

4) If the shadowing is > 50 hours and included a DO and a primary care doc, then you're fine there. But the average applicant has 1.5 years of clinical experience gained at the rate of ~3 hours per week, so you need far more active clinical experience. Longevity counts.

Other ECs of value to your application are teaching, leadership, and research. Try to get some of those in, too.

5) Let's talk when final stats are known.

6) Definitely, especially if the extra time includes a number of upper-level Bio classes and Biochem that you've aced.

Thanks for the quick reply!

As of now, my university is not allowing me to retake the course because it is a C not a C-.

I will be inquiring with the dean of admissions at my school if it would be possible to retake.

I still have two physics courses, two organic courses, and my micro classes left to boost my overall science GPA.

I was wondering if my Chem grade would be "negated" if I scored well in the Chemistry Section on the MCAT. I believe that if I showed them that I could apply the concepts of chemistry to a real world problem, that the C might not look like a stain on my science record. Does this sound accurate?

As for the E.C., I am planning on volunteering at MEDIC or the Red Cross in order to boost my extra credit activities. I am also going to try for an internship at local hospital. Does this sound like a significant increase?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your grades in school are never negated unfortunately. I got a 12 on PS section and was a chem major..but had a bunch of C's in chem classes due to extenuating circumstances.

You should look to retake courses over the summer at a local school(not a cc). Just work at getting straight A's from here on out and don't worry about the MCAT for the time being.

I am applying this cycle with a 3.0-3.1 and 33MCAT so I will let you know how it goes!

Oh sweet! Not so much as "negated" more like balanced. If the board sees you made a C but did well on the exam, I have reason to believe that the MCAT score would show you know how to utilize your knowledge.
By the way how did you study for the exam?