what are my chances for an MSW program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have recently considered doing an MSW program and becoming a social worker. Before my doing undergrad and right up until completing it, I was sure i wanted to be a psychologist or at least do my masters in clin/counseling psych, but now I am seriously reconsidering other options. Since my BA is in psych I feel like I don't know too much about the social work field, especially admission statistics/chances for getting into a MSW program. If you could let me know what you think based on my stats i would REALLY appreciate it!

graduated with a BA Specialized Honours in Psych (spring 2010)
cumulative GPA 3.5/4
psych gpa - 3.7

4th year counseling psych seminar course (learned skills & techniques for client-centered therapy)

completed an honours thesis

1 year research experience in a social cognition lab

1 year (combined) experience at two psychotherapy/couples counseling programs as a transcriber/program assistant

2 positions within two cultural student associations in university (VP, and cultural team consultant) -- experience w/ diverse populations

1 year tutor for undergrad psych students

6 years experience (as a dietary aide) with a geriatric populations - working w/ individuals with dementia, alzheimers, cognitive challenges

just beginning volunteering on a telephone support line for addiction/mental health issues with very reputable organization/centre ( 1 year commitment)

--I think that two of my reference letters will come from professors (one from the social cog lab, one from the professor of my counseling psych seminar class), for the third I will probably ask the volunteer coordinator/head from the telephone support line (although she is not an academic, psychologist, social worker, etc THAT i know of -- i'm not sure if this will be a problem)

I intend to apply primarily for MSW programs in CANADA (pretty much all the MSW info I have seen on this board is for American programs -- if anyone is familiar with Canadian programs please let me know!) . I am considering applying for msw programs in the states (but damn the GRES and insanely high tuition fees!!). I may also apply for masters counseling/clinical psych programs.. Please be honest and let me know if you think I have a shot at getting into any programs.. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from not knowing your GRE scores I think you'd have no problem getting into most any masters program you apply for and probably have a legit shot of getting into a phd program

But that could all change if you get a 900 on the GRE :p

goodluck

Thanks for your reply!! Really? wow PhD program? haha I'm pretty surprised.. but that's pretty comforting.. I didn't mention the GREs because for MSW programs in Canada you don't need them! :D :D

My dilemma is if I should "keep all my options open" (while spending a lot of money/time writing the GREs and applying to MA/PhD Programs) & apply to other programs other than just the MSW. I'm actually terrified of the GRE, I started the Princeton course last summer but really slacked off and basically dropped it, so I know studying & writing the GRE will require lots of effort & be a huge challenge since I'm already hating/dreading it. But I guess if its worth it, it's gotta be donee!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

So I find my self in a very similar situation as you. I could have graduated this spring with a BAH in psychology, however I am going back for a fall term and then applying to grad school. All of my undergrad I had planned on going into clinical psychology, and had planned on writing the GRE this summer. However, I do not think my marks are competative enough, and I have recently been thinking that I do not want to do research, especailly for the next 6 years in school. So I have been doing some research on MSW programs in Canada, with the hopes of getting into one with a clinical focus.

What programs have you been looking at? I have looked at UofT, and Laurier. I am wondering what the acceptence rate is for the places. Do you know? Are you looking at any programs in the US?

Hey!

So I find my self in a very similar situation as you. I could have graduated this spring with a BAH in psychology, however I am going back for a fall term and then applying to grad school. All of my undergrad I had planned on going into clinical psychology, and had planned on writing the GRE this summer. However, I do not think my marks are competative enough, and I have recently been thinking that I do not want to do research, especailly for the next 6 years in school. So I have been doing some research on MSW programs in Canada, with the hopes of getting into one with a clinical focus.

What programs have you been looking at? I have looked at UofT, and Laurier. I am wondering what the acceptence rate is for the places. Do you know? Are you looking at any programs in the US?

Honestly, I have been looking at any Ontario MSW program that admits students that don't have a BSW (so a 2-year program).. I have been focusing on U of T because from all the one's i've looked at it is the most "clinical/mental health" focus. I'm going to look into any US programs that don't require the GRE and aren't extremely expensive (Canadian MSw programs run around the same price as undergrad - 5-6,000 a year while some of the US ones I've seen are 15,000+). I 'm having the hardest time finding ANY stats on the acceptance rate of Canadian programs which is SOO frustrating. :( it's making me worried because I have no idea how competitive the programs are!!

You definitely look good on paper! Like Progter said, GRE is important, but only if you plan to go to US schools.

Another thing to think about are your work and volunteer experiences. Some schools weigh this just as heavily as numbers. Furthermore, depending on the focus of the school, certain experiences may matter more.

For example, if you are applying to an MSW program that has faculty doing a lot of work with the elderly, then it would set you apart to have experience working with that population. Fit is really important!