Dental What are my chances for dental school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know wamc, and what schools I should apply to, any advice helps? I don't want to wait next cycle just because I want to shoot my shot now. thanks

Date of submission: in a few days
Overall GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 2.86
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA -20 TS -22 Genchem-21 Bio-22 orgo-22
PAT-16 (I KNOW) QR-16 RC-17
State of Residence: New York
Undergrad Attended: CUNY Hunter college
POST GRAD- SUNY Farmingdale college
Major: Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes - I had a low GPA after finishing undergrad, so I took classes for a full year at a SUNY school to show improvement (Physics2-A, A&P 1-B+, A&P2-A, Genetics-A, Bio-nutrition class-A)
SUMMER 2020-im taking biochem
Fall 2020 taking microbiology (b/c of covid-19 they canceled this class in the summer)

Shadowing Experience: 200 assisting and shadowing at a dental office
Volunteering Experience: 200+ went on a dental mission trip to Peurto Rico for a month (with leadership role), hospital,
Employment: 100-200 just some tutoring from time to time
Research: Hours and type; any publications or presentations? How many? none
Other Extracurriculars: impressions day, oral cancer walks, leadership roles in 2 clubs, predental, health,clubs etc ,
Relevant Honors or Awards: none
LOR type and strength:
2 from Phd professors and 2 from Dentists
I would not apply until your sGPA is at or above 3.0 so that you aren't auto-rejected by schools because currently it is pretty low. I think it would take far too many units to get it up, so I would suggest a masters program instead. Also, your DAT AA and TS are decent but the low PAT will hurt so I'd suggest retaking your DAT and getting above a 20 in all sections.

Dental school is hard and schools want to know their students can handle it. Currently your academic record does not really show this, even though you did an informal post-bacc, because your sGPA is still very low. An SMP would better show that you could handle a rigorous curriculum and would improve your chances too.

Regardless of my opinion though, if you still want to apply then I'd suggest mostly private schools + your state schools, since private schools tend to be a little more forgiving on stats.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your feedback
I tried applying to a post bac and smp program but both schools I tried to apply to told me that I shouldn’t do that and just take science courses on my own bc those programs were in a sense More catered to people who want to pursue dentistry with no science courses experience.

I will definitely be trying to apply to more private schools to increase my chances
Do you know of students with similar stats and getting in ?
I will still be taking more science courses after i submit my application in a few days through tour the year just in case 1 school doesn’t even accept me this cycle

Also in the transcript entry part some schools want microbiology which I plan to take fall 2020 but technically I don’t have it registered but I know for a fact I will be taking it this fall so do I input it as “in progress”

and for biochem which I will be taking this summer ,I am eligible to apply To schools that require it right?
Sorry for writing so much
SMPs generally don't say that.... maybe you applied to too few? I would look through this sheet and see if there are any you can still apply for: ~* List of Post-Bacc/Masters Programs (EXCEL SHEET) *~

In regard to similar stats, you can search the predental forum: Pre-Dental. Here are links to some stories though: my success story starting with low stats, How i got into dental school with LOW GPA (under 3.0). There are some success stories in the WAMC Dental subforum too.

For microbio, yes you would put it as "planned" for Fall 2020.

For biochem, yes you are eligible to apply to the schools that require it, but you will be rejected if you do not meet the minimum grade requirement (usually a C) - this goes for all pre-req classes.

I'll also say that not having a DAT score of 20's across the board may also work against you. That PAT score is dangerously low to be screened out at many programs. I would definitely agree with my colleague that you need to shore up that sciGPA and recent coursework GPA before attacking the DAT again and then applying for optimal chances of success. You should also make sure you connect with current students at the schools high on your wish list and begin networking with your admissions recruiters at the schools as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.