what are my chances for DO school? what should i do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamrose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess its time to finally sit down and consider my chances.. Any criticism/help is greatly appreciated. Currently entering senior year with 2 semesters left filled with science courses in hopes of raising gpa.

Joined a fraternity freshman year (still active) but it really screwed up my first year of college.
3.24 GPA. Overall science GPA 3.0 I believe.
Fresh Year
Gen Chem 1 and 2 C
Evo Bio C+, Cell Bio B
Calc 1 B-

Soph Year:
Physics 1 B-, Physics 2 A-
Human Physiology A
Medical stats A-
Psychology101 A

Junior Year:
Orgo 1 and 2 B
Broad Physiology A
Biopsychology A
Medical sociology A-
Calc 2 A
Biochemistry A.

Senior year schedule.. Will take genetics, microbio, anatomy, more lab courses.

Extracurriculars:
Hope to accomplish over 300 hours of hospital before applying. currently at 180
So far shadowed one D.O. planning to shadow at least 3 more.
Getting EMT certified this summer. hoping to put some job hours on application
6 Credits of virology research with an A guaranteed for next semester (connections)
TAing for broad physiology class with a lead professor in the bio department (LOR)

What should I be thinking/considering?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess its time to finally sit down and consider my chances.. Any criticism/help is greatly appreciated. Currently entering senior year with 2 semesters left filled with science courses in hopes of raising gpa.

Joined a fraternity freshman year (still active) but it really screwed up my first year of college.
Fresh Year
Gen Chem 1 and 2 C
Evo Bio C+, Cell Bio B
Calc 1 B-

Soph Year:
Human Physiology A
Medical stats A-
Psychology101 A

Junior Year:
Orgo 1 and 2 B
Broad Physiology A
Biopsychology A
Medical sociology A-
Calc 2 A
Biochemistry A.

Extracurriculars:
6 Credits of virology research with an A guaranteed for next semester (connections)
TAing for broad physiology class with a lead professor in the bio department (LOR)

You have an upward GPA trend which will work in your favor. AACOMAS uses grade replacement, too. So you could boost your GPA if you retook some of those C's (just make sure the # of credits is equal to or higher than the courses you earned a C in). For DO schools, you'll need a LOR from a physician- a DO is recommended.

When are you looking to apply- this cycle or next? Have you taken your MCAT yet? With an MCAT of 27+ and a couple of retakes, you'll be fine for DO schools. Also, I'd recommend adding another EC or two to your list.

You have an upward GPA trend which will work in your favor. AACOMAS uses grade replacement, too. So you could boost your GPA if you retook some of those C's (just make sure the # of credits is equal to or higher than the courses you earned a C in). For DO schools, you'll need a LOR from a physician- a DO is recommended.

When are you looking to apply- this cycle or next? Have you taken your MCAT yet? With an MCAT of 27+ and a couple of retakes, you'll be fine for DO schools. Also, I'd recommend adding another EC or two to your list.

I don't plan to retake any classes for the sake of not much time to do so.. I plan to take the mcat at the end of spring semester/early or late summer.. Possibly taking a year off so my spring semester grades show.. is that how it works?

If I had to retake one class which one should it be?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what you listed, it looks like the Gen chem series was especially bad (C's) so that's where I'd look for retake opportunities. Of course, only retake the course if you're confident you can do better.

Your plans are fine., but the low sGPA will hurt. Suggest retaking the the two C courses and then you'll be in much much better shape.

Fresh Year
Gen Chem 1 and 2 C
Evo Bio C+, Cell Bio B
Calc 1 B-

Soph Year:
Human Physiology A
Medical stats A-
Psychology101 A

Junior Year:
Orgo 1 and 2 B
Broad Physiology A
Biopsychology A
Medical sociology A-
Calc 2 A
Biochemistry A.

Extracurriculars:

Reactions: 1 user
Retake gen chem, perhaps add some more upper level bio classes that you think you could do well in and get your sgpa up. Cumulative is a little weak as well. Btw math doesn't count towards your science gpa so make sure you take that into account. Good ECs. Try and get a 28 on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user