What are my chances for DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakas12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming senior at UC Berkeley and I am interested in going to a D.O. School and I am planning to take the MCAT on august 2016.
So far, here are my stats:
- Current Cumulative GPA: 3.08
- Science GPA (Including Math): 2.7

I have taken general biology part 1 twice and still got the same letter grade (C)
and my grades have improved on my junior year so far but only slightly.
I have struggled during my 1st and 2nd years due to challenge in adjusting to college ( my high school did not have a lot of programs for academic advancement like AP classes) and also suffered depression and anxiety during my 2nd year due to financial and academic pressures that possibly affected my academic performance.

Extracurriculars:
- worked with recruitment and retention of underrepresented groups (Filipinos was my focus) into higher education (2012-2014)
- maintained, coordinated, and facilitated meetings for the LGBT Pilipinos space and represented the LGBTQ Pilipino group in the greater LGBTQ community on campus (2013-2014)
- Working as a peer advisor for Integrative Biology Dept. (2014-present)
- Worked as a peer educator for active bystander intervention on campus (2014-2015)
- Volunteering at the hospital where I will have patient interactions as navigator for social services for underprivileged patients (2015-present)
- Volunteering at the research laboratory which investigates longevity of Drosophila melanogaster as a lab assistant (2015-present)

I also identify as a first generation Filipino student.

I would like to know your sincere and honest opinion about my chances on getting into a DO school. Going to a post-bac or MHS will be my last resort if chances are slim.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your science GPA needs to be higher pure and simple. From my understanding Filipinos are not URMs in medical school admission(someone correct me if I am wrong I know groups such as Cambodians can be so its not 100% clear cut).

It's hard to even recommend applying until the science GPA is above a 3.0. Also this whole discussion is moot without an MCAT score. Aim for as high as possible but you really are going to want 65th+ percentile to be competitive. And like I said above raise the science GPA. You need a post-bacc be it a formal one or DIY at your undergrad school not an MHS. Do that and I think you can be competitive potentially.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Chances are zero as of right now.

retake all F/D/C science coursework. If you can't do better this time around, then it's time to think of a different career. Getting a C in the Biol 1 repeat is not a good sign.

Attend to your mental health needs first. Med school is a furnace and I've seen it break even healthy students.

I am an incoming senior at UC Berkeley and I am interested in going to a D.O. School and I am planning to take the MCAT on august 2016.
So far, here are my stats:
- Current Cumulative GPA: 3.08
- Science GPA (Including Math): 2.7

I have taken general biology part 1 twice and still got the same letter grade (C)
and my grades have improved on my junior year so far but only slightly.
I have struggled during my 1st and 2nd years due to challenge in adjusting to college ( my high school did not have a lot of programs for academic advancement like AP classes) and also suffered depression and anxiety during my 2nd year due to financial and academic pressures that possibly affected my academic performance.

Extracurriculars:
- worked with recruitment and retention of underrepresented groups (Filipinos was my focus) into higher education (2012-2014)
- maintained, coordinated, and facilitated meetings for the LGBT Pilipinos space and represented the LGBTQ Pilipino group in the greater LGBTQ community on campus (2013-2014)
- Working as a peer advisor for Integrative Biology Dept. (2014-present)
- Worked as a peer educator for active bystander intervention on campus (2014-2015)
- Volunteering at the hospital where I will have patient interactions as navigator for social services for underprivileged patients (2015-present)
- Volunteering at the research laboratory which investigates longevity of Drosophila melanogaster as a lab assistant (2015-present)

I also identify as a first generation Filipino student.

I would like to know your sincere and honest opinion about my chances on getting into a DO school. Going to a post-bac or MHS will be my last resort if chances are slim.

Thanks in advance!

Your science GPA needs to be higher pure and simple. From my understanding Filipinos are not URMs in medical school admission(someone correct me if I am wrong I know groups such as Cambodians can be so its not 100% clear cut).

It's hard to even recommend applying until the science GPA is above a 3.0. Also this whole discussion is moot without an MCAT score. Aim for as high as possible but you really are going to want 65th+ percentile to be competitive. And like I said above raise the science GPA. You need a post-bacc be it a formal one or DIY at your undergrad school not an MHS. Do that and I think you can be competitive potentially.
UCI considers Filipinos UIM.
Utah does also (last time I checked).
The Philippines is the second largest exporter of IMG physicians to CA so it's sad but not surprising that they are actually over-represented in medicine while simultaneously being under-represented in universities.