Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are my chances for DO school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by MedPainter, May 8, 2018.

1. MedPainter

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone. I was curious about everyone's opinions on my chances for admission to a DO school.
    Major: Chemistry
    Minors: Bioethics, Medical Laboratory Sciences
    MCAT: 509
    Cumulative GPA: 3.792
    Science GPA: 3.651
    Hospital Volunteer: 59 hrs
    Non-clinical Volunteer: 6000+ hrs (through temple activities since 2011, 2700 of which being leadership roles)
    Shadowing Hours: 50 hrs
    Clinical Job (Home Health Aide): 308 hrs
    Non-clinical Job (Assistant Instructor at a learning center): 2300 hrs
    No Research

2. parslea

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Apply to established DO schools as well as low to mid tier MD programs. These are solid stats, with the exception of clinical volunteering. You stand an excellent shot if you apply intelligently.

3. MedPainter

Pre-Medical
    Could you give me a list of some schools you think I would have a strong shot at for MD schools? I will be applying to 10 DO schools but didn't know my chances for MD schools. And which schools are considered "established DO schools"?

4. fldoctorgirl

fldoctorgirl MS1 transplanted from the beach to the midwest

Medical Student
    Post a thread in WAMC so people can give you a school list.

5. MedPainter

Pre-Medical
    I have a thread on there as well

6. Swolebabydoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are you a URM? Do you speak any other languages? What state do you have residence in?

If you're looking for safe MD schools, Meharry, Howard, University of Missouri-KC, Morehouse. Of course there are no guarantees but these I would consider safe schools with your stats.

Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, University of KansasSOM, Wayne State, Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. I think this is what is meant as mid tier, although if you asked three people, you would get 3 different answers.

However, I think you would have success with these schools.

7. MedPainter

Pre-Medical
    I am not URM. I speak Gujarati and Hindi (two Indian languages). My state of residence is Ohio.

8. Swolebabydoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would definitely speak to that in your app, its not Spanish, its a language that how many others will speak? It separates you from the crowd, if a person speaking one of those 2 Indian languages comes in you can help them, knowing the language and possibly the culture?

I am not an accepted med student so i'll ask @Goro he'll know. good luck

9. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    South Asians are major league ORM (and successful ones at that), so speaking multiples of these languages aren't going to add any cachet to an applicant.

Osminog and MyGrainAura like this.
  10. MyGrainAura

2+ Year Member

You’re saying that being bilingual in Spanish isn’t as much of an asset? Horribly myopic point of view. Knowing Spanish imbues one with a huge degree of rapport and accessibility to the second largest linguistic demographic in the U.S.

11. Swolebabydoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    not what i am saying, i was simply saying it was a different benefit, more unusual, something that is not as common as Spanish. I speak Spanish and I am half Latinx so no I was not putting a language down. sorry, if you gathered that out of what i said but hey people will get what they want out of it